1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics chiefs' warning over detachable-lens cameras

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Jul 19, 2012.

1. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

What's the Olympic venue for this competition? Of course, it's the UK and there are no other competitors, because competitors are not allowed, and the sponsors have been given top prize in the sychronized greed event before the starting belch.

But that is not really my big complaint - we, as a community are allowing this greed. No, my real beef is the privatization of public spaces and large events in spaces that are governed not by law but by companyies's dictat.

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Chunks of the UK's cities' centres - especially where derelict/near derelict/in need of re-generation - are being 'privatised' at freehold level. Not just the normally sellable industrial, commercial and residential land but open spaces and pavements that were previously 'in public'.

If you see rows of little brass studs in the paving in squares and on pavements, on one side it is highly likely it is private and subject to the owners rules and on the other - either another owner or it will be the public space.

I don't like where that may be heading. :confused::(

3. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

I suspect various multinationals competed to get these priviledged sponsorship deals, which then give them exclusivity and tax breaks.

I am trying to say that, in a strange way, I cannot blame the individual companies for getting the best deals they can - that is the nature of the economic beast we live and work in. They have no choice except to maximise profits. If the deals are bad for us taxpayers, we should turn our fury onto the ministers/organisers who arranged them. They are the ones who have sold us short to commercial interests at every available opportunity.

Yes, we let people get away with it. We are guilty by inaction. But just who is pushing through the bills which allow privatisation of public spaces and just who is allowing the foreign corporates to dictate their terms on UK soil? Once again, our politicians who demonstrate repeatedly that they cannot be trusted to protect our interests. Hence my insistence that the answers are political - not just corporate bashing.

Regards, Mike

4. rolloxan

rolloxan Active Member

I wonder how they will treat me with my old film camera...

Me - "But sir, it isn't a professional camera. Why, it doesn't even have an LCD screen!"

Security - "Hmm.. fair enough, go ahead"

Me - "Thank you kindly squire. Oh how my family will relish these dusty, analogue photos of this wondrous testament to the human physical condition!" *smiling as I bring in the Carl Zeiss glass and Kodak Ektar 100*

5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Well surely that's why they have worded the rule that way. :p

It says detachable-lens cameras that would include film of cause. I think it's the worry about long physical lenses. Which on a full frame 35mm are going to be in the 400mm range to get any decent reach are going to be quite a chunk of kit.

I suspect they would be fooled by say a Nikon V1/J1. Thinking it's a compact. :D

6. rolloxan

rolloxan Active Member

Well, never underestimate the stupidity of security guards with 8 hours training. Worded just right I'm sure I'll get through :)

7. AlanClifford

Are you infering that the gentlemen charged with identifying cameras will not be fully trained in camera recognition? Surely not. This is the Olympics, the pinnacle of sporting achievement. Of course the trademark guards will know about cameras.

8. P_Stoddart

Maybe there is a silhouette chart, bit like the WWII system. This one friendly this one enemy. :D :p

9. Staropramen

Staropramen Well-Known Member

Re: Olympus chiefs' warning over detachable-lens cameras !

I misread it as:

Olympus chiefs' warning over detachable-lens cameras

I was gettin' worried because I have a couple of m43 Olympus lenses and am thinking about buyin' an EP3 . . . . . . . . What a relief, it's only about the Shambles of the Century . . .

10. AlanClifford

Perhaps AP could provide one as a service to the Olympics. Oh wait, they couldn't use the word Olympics.

11. BikerMike

Aww, don't be so harsh, they'll be able to use it when the restrictions expire at the end of 2012!

Regards, Mike

12. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

... unless they want to sell in Brazil ...

13. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Can I get a Zenit Photosniper camera in I wonder ? :D

14. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

No! Anything resembling a firearm is banned.

15. P_Stoddart

Well yes, for about 4.5 seconds then you hear loud bangs. :p

It's wall to wall armed officers in Westfield etc. :rolleyes:

Actually tourists were asking for photo calls with the officers in question. :D Which they did quite a few times.

16. BikerMike

As I understand it, (but please correct me if I'm wrong), any equipment confiscated at the entrance cannot be given back after the event. I've heard there are no storage facilities.

Surely that is going to lead to serious resentment for thousands of tourists who may not have known the rules prior to arriving at the entrance?

If that's the case, what actually happens to the thousands of pounds of confiscated gear?

Can they really take expensive items off you and just say "tough", after you've spent a small fortune on tickets?

Regards, Mike

17. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

You could spray it metallic pink, then people will think its an unprofessional Pentax...

18. Picofthings

Picofthings In the Stop Bath

In my point of view, the organizers don't want to have the players to be distracted that is why they implement this rule. However, they should consider some other things in order to be fair to the photographers.:confused:

19. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

I rather suspect that the commercial organisations who have bought the rights to media coverage of the Games have insisted that measures be put in place to protect their monopoly. The god of security is then invoked for justification of removal of individual rights.

20. BikerMike

Exactly :)

Regards, Mike