1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics chiefs' warning over detachable-lens cameras

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Lets go for a Pentax Q then...

WRT the "recording/transmitting devices" element, so all smartphones are then also banned?

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

My problem is that I have tickets for the rowing final - where the 30 cm rule nominally applies - and I want to take an Olympus E5 plus 70-300mm. The combination comes easily within the 30cm even when extended but how do I know whether some jobsworth will "exercise his discretion" and ban me:confused:

Roger

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

You can't go for a Q it has a detachable lens. :p

4. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

I own an elderly Sony DSC F707 Cyber Shot which with its excellent fixed Vario Sonnar f2 lens, is only a little smaller that my Sony A700 with a kit lens. The only problem with the Cyber Shot is that the largest memory card it can use is only 128 MB, which only allows me ~40 pics at a nominal 5MB!

5. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

As all transmitting devices are also prohibited there are going to be a lot of annoyed spectators at Wembley as they will be deprived of their mobile phones and they will not be able to get them back (no storage facilities).

Fantastic. Can't all Olympic Sites have this rule? Just think, millions of people permanently deprived of their mobiles. WOW!

Having just checked the list of prohibited items for all Olympic sites, I was amused to see that Firearms and Ammunition are prohibited. Going to cause the shooters some problems at Woolwich then?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Easy (I hope).... get an insulated opaque-waller drinking bottle cooler thingy and put your lens inside it, instead of a bottle of drink.

I've done the opposite (used a padded lens case to house a drink bottle instead of a lens) and only got one disparaging (sp?) remark from a group of around a dozen togs on a flickr group meet-up shoot

7. Stephen67

Stephen67 Well-Known Member

A few years ago when I took my nephew (10 yrs old) to see Bob Dylan in concert, it was a very strict 'No Cameras' policy. Naturally, my nephew carried my camera in under his coat. The security guard patted me down, but wasn't allowed to frisk 'the boy'...:D

I wonder if this could work with the olympics? And as my nephew is all grown up now, can anyone lend me a small child*? ;)

*Note: Child must be able to conceal a Nikon D4 with 600mm lens lol.

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Carry the zoom separately from the camera body. Have you got a pancake lens? Put that on the body. Hold camera up for checking. Leave tele lens case in bag to be frisked. You didn't put them together. Will G4S? ;)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  9. 0lybacker

I have been up high at the back of a Wimbledon show court - in the pre-improvement, pre-digital era - when in a match between a 'superstar' and an unknown (first day of chamionships), the sound of shutters/motordrives in the front row when the ball was being hit by the 'superstar' drowned out all other noise including players' grunts and shrieks. :)

10. 0lybacker

Fantastic! Am LOLLING & LOLLING all over the place.

It's a shame it doesn't move slightly; just a little side to side shake ... :p:D

And it's a great shame it's not available to the right of this box!

11. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

I've just been looking at their photography and filming conditions again. I don't remember this one from before:

12. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Yep, but will the eejits running the show notice that on an un-professional looking camera?

13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Here you go:

[​IMG]

I must state that i did not make the original picture, i just animated it. Feel free to copy it to your photobucket or whatever you use, for future use :)

14. 0lybacker

Oooh! Ta!!

Haven't got a Photobucket as am Tamracced and Billinghammed up to the eyeballs but will ask Jane Bown, when she finally retires, to let me use her shopping basket. Will that do? ;)

Have been thinking of suitable first recipients while doing the washing up - next time I get an assessment, do you think it will work well on HM R&C? :eek::p

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

So, do I take my canon 5d mk II with variety of detachable lenses - or my iPhone with olloclip - also detachable lenses?

Actually, it's a semi serious question. My family and I are going to see the equestrian events at Greenwich Park and the tennis at Wimbledon. I"ve already warned dh that if I get stopped, he'll be going in alone and I'll meet him after!

16. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

Well said! That's it exactly.

17. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Yes, it is unashamed commercial greed, but what other choice do private companies have in a competitive marketplace?

The name of the game is competition. Each and every business has to do its level best to get the largest market share, sales, profits etc. possible. If one of them doesn't do it, the others will. It's dog eat dog, the survival of the fittest.

I am no lover of corporate capitalism, but there is a contradiction here. We want to live in a western "free market" economy, yet we moan when we see the logical consequences of that. We need to realise that commercial greed is a fundamental, integral part of our system, we cannot have our society without it.

I would normally be one of the first to have a go at these sponsors and their dictatorial conditions, but they are playing the game by the only rules possible. If we don't like this, then we need to think in terms of social change, otherwise it's pointless to just criticise the players.

I hope you can see what I mean.

Regards, Mike

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  18. BikerMike

If the behaviour of the Olympic corporate sponsors bothers you, one thing that can be done is to put pressure on them to pay UK tax. It seems that many of them have a tax-exempt agreement with the British government in return for their sponsorship (sounds incredible, but true!).

38 Degrees is an online community which is asking people to sign petitions in order to put pressure on these companies to pay tax or face adverse publicity.

That sounds quite feeble until you realise that in recent days, 8 of the major sponsors have responded to the pressure and agreed to pay their share of tax.

To my mind that is a significant win for public pressure. All done with a few clicks by signing an online petition at 38 Degrees.

Here is the link if you are interested:

https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/pag...eferrer=http://www.38degrees.org.uk/#petition

Regards, Mike

19. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

4/10. If we really don't like it, the thing to do is to boycott these events, and arrange widescale peaceful protests against them ... some people with placards & others fouling up "security checks" by taking as long as possible to pass through them by challenging at every possible opportunity and in every possible way.

20. BikerMike

I won't disagree with you. I think anyone willing to take direct action should be applauded and supported. Protests, boycotts, bad publicity, peaceful obstruction etc. all help in their different ways and can achieve very significant results. I suggested the online petition simply because it is such an easy step for anyone on this forum to take. It'd be stretching things a bit to ask people to take time off work, spend time and money travelling to venues, possibly risk getting arrested, etc in order to express their views, very welcome though that would be.

Asking large numbers of people to do small things can also effect change.

Regards, Mike