1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics chiefs' warning over detachable-lens cameras

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Jul 19, 2012.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

I understand the tennis is at Wimbledon. Will they be following Olympic rules or Wimbledon rules regarding cameras?

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

4. P_Stoddart

Well under the same logic because I understand Wimbledon have their own security it will be the site's rules.

Tennis does require special rules because of the viewing structure and the need for quiet during play.

It reads like G4S (or the army :rolleyes: ) will only be working on the new sites or temp sites.

5. addick56

addick56 Member

So - I can take my very large and heavy old Samsung bridge camera but not my much smaller, lighter and much more discrete Panasonic CSC! When I used the Samsung everyone assumed is was a DSLR because of it's size yet CSC's are often smaller than some 'compacts.'
    Generalisations never make sense - there has got to be a commonsense approach surely?

6. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

So the grunts can be well heard? I can't think of any camera whose shutter mechanism is nosiy enough to be heard over a Sharapova grunt.

7. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

How about my large format camera?:D

I'm glad I didn't even bother to apply for tickets. Bet it wasn't such a police state in 1936.:mad:

8. P_Stoddart

Oil and water me think when it comes to security. :rolleyes:

9. P_Stoddart

Yeah, but the sponsors turn out to be quite nasty down the line. :(

10. Spike

Spike Member

Think the Canon SX40 will get round the restriction with its 24 - 840mm eqivelant zoom

11. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

I don't think it is anything to do with security. I'd guess you could pack a lot of semtex in a point-and-shoot. It's the privatization of public spaces and commercial greed.

12. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

Wasn't there something about the "organizers" wanting people to go to these venues :rolleyes:

13. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

I'm absolutely sure you're right about that. Security commonly is misused to justify revocation of individual rights and privelges which have taken decades or centuries to accumulate e.g. restrictions on hand baggage at airports combined with increasing charges for hold baggage.

14. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm sure it will.
    BUT, it's not that good at capturing even quite simple action - the photographer is definitely not in command of when the shot is taken.

15. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I'm afraid so.

But they are getting a bit silly and it is now getting to the point where it is almost an incentive, a challenge even, to go in with a compact or bridge camera and put up video and stills on the internet a.s.a.p. after the event or game. :confused: :rolleyes: :mad: ;) :D

16. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/538944/photographers-win-olympics-tickets

Good news: You've won tickets to the olympics because of your photographic skills
    Bad news: You can't take your camera with you to the venue

If I'd have seen info on this competition in time, I think my entry would have shown a private security guard dropping an expensive DSLR and lens into an ordinary rubbish bin, because as far as I am concerned, the spirit of the olympics is now to make as much money from sponsors etc as possible, to the detriment of the true fans

17. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

Cameras are allowed at Wimbledon, but the photos must only be for personal use. Also, flash is not allowed during play. Both seem sensible rules, the only real problem is that so many compact camera users haven't read their instructions and don't know how to turn the flash off!

18. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Who the 'f' cares. Hopefully there will be strikes by all sorts of wreckers; G4S will be in a mess and these Olympics wil be such a shambles that GB will never again host one of these infantile international sporting events.

20. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

But it will still allow the big corporations to run the country, so no change there.

The term "wreckers" should be applied to the likes of the sponsors, not those very ordinary people who are doing their level best to get a minister to enter into negotiations with them. It is only because the government refuses point blank to enter discussions that the strike has been called. The timing of the strike is not malicious. It is the nearest date available after the union has gone through a lengthy due process in order to get the strike vote. This decision to hold a strike is a lot more democratic than any decision made by the sponsors.

Regards, Mike