1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics bosses drastically tighten photo rules

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Olympics bosses drastically tighten photo rul

It strikes me that they missed a trick.
    they could have sold premium tickets to amateur photographers that had good lines of sight, for particular events and in areas with just photographers, so that no one would be annoyed.
    better for photographers.
    better for spectators
    better for revenue.

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Also good for security. Will not deter a suicide bomber but someone hoping to get away with doing something less drastic but still nasty - throwing stuff, pick-pocketing or worse - is unlikely to be quite so keen if there are loads of photographers snapping at anything and everything.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Nah! Think 'we've' just won some more medals! :D

4. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Well I was at Wembley last night to see the Women's football final. Apart from an entertaining game (certainly more entertaining than any blokes International game I've seen at Wembley (which probably isn't saying much)), I can honestly say how very well organised the affair seemed to be. Both me and the missus had bags (after a whole day in London) and having had to queue separately (as only women could hand-search women apparently), my bag was just glanced at (it only contained my Canon 650D and a couple of lenses) and my wife's bag wasn't examined much more thoroughly either.
    There were load's of people 'pro-cameras' about, both inside and outside the stadium. I saw 1Ds and D3s, D800 etc with some large lenses (70-200 f2.8 I think mostly).
    Everybody seemed relaxed and enjoying the event. Didn't hear an complaints at all.
    The biggest jeer of the night was saved for Herr Blatter, who was giving out some medals.

5. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

I'm a bit late but I just wanted to add a bit as I made comments about not wanting to be near a DSLR user. My comments were general and not aimed at anyone here, neither did I have anyone here in mind.

Anyway, one incident that I did have in mind was when I was on holiday and wondered into a quite beautiful church. I took out my DSLR and as discretely as I could I took a few shots using wide aperture and available light. Seconds behind me was someone with a DSLR and speedlight who proceeded to dominate the church and be a perfect example of how not to behave, IMVHO.

I do agree with the comments about photographers being considerate. Personally I always put my camera away if I suspect that someone might take objection or be hindered in any way.

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

No this thread is not dead. You are forgetting we have the Paralympics next. Same rules as it is under LOCOG?

But the IPC have final say I would suspect.