1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics bosses drastically tighten photo rules

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Olympics bosses drastically tighten photo rul

set the aisles at 45 degrees and you would not lose any seats. It would probaly regulate exits better and avoid uncontrolled rushes down the steps.

2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I've just replaced my GF3 with a G3. I had the opportunity to buy a limited edition 2012 branded Lumix G3, or a standard red G3 kit. They were from two different places, but were both offered to me at the same price...

Usually I love rare stuff, the olympics G3 one of only 2012 made... Normally i wouldn't go in for a red camera :)o) but all these rules-shenanigans had me turned right off. I went for the red one. I'll probably live to regret it in 15 years time when they are worth £700 in new money, but who wants a camera that reminds them of shifting rules rather than the event itself?

I've adored these UK Olympics, but not these photo rules. Glad to see it seems that it's not as yet ruined anyones visit, but these rules have seen more U-bends than the Thames Water company.

3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

You may not even have to do that.
    As the seats would be staggered, the legroom would effectively be increased, so if you could pull back 2cm from each one (to account for the extra) you could probably fit in one extra row - this is how to get the most legroom in as small a space as possible.

4. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Went to Wembly last night for a women's football match (Japan vs France).

Everyone entering was frisked, a few were carrying DSLRs, none that I saw were stopped or prevented from taking their gear in.

Once seated, I could see at least half a dozen DSLRs being used nearby, a couple with fairly long lenses. (I guess around 300-400 mark). No-one batted an eyelid. Security personell walked straight past and took no notice.

I now wish I'd taken something with a bit more reach than a G11 :(

Regards, Mike

5. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I agree entirely with Alan. If I was at an event an I had somebody clicking away around me I would be telling them where to stick it. Unfortunately there are to many people that think they are being oppressed if they aren't allowed to snap away at every single opportunity they can. It's no good saying you asked if it was ok for you to do it.... We're English... Of course we will say go ahead that's fine.. Just spare a thought for everybody else. You aren't David bailey... Your just an inconsiderate Git with a camera.

6. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Just thought I would give another point of view
    :D:D:D

7. LondonYank

LondonYank Member

This is an interesting position to take, advocating against people using cameras on an amateur photography forum.

I presume this comment was directed at my earlier one, where I explained that whilst I brought in a camera I used it sparingly and made sure that the people around me were OK with it and to let me know if it annoyed them.

Your argument that this is a futile gesture, as the English will just roll over and take it, doesn't really stack up. I'm not really going to lose too much sleep if someone doesn't have the nerve to make a remark to me when I have just expressly given them a friendly and awkwardness-free license to do so.

I think the point of all of this is that we all need to be considerate. Those of us who would like to be able to take the odd snap, using the equipment which is equal to the task at hand, should not be prevented from doing so. Those who would prefer to watch the action, should not be impeded or annoyed by anyone else around them. If you can find a way to make both happy, where's the harm?

8. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Mod comment!

There was no reason to be rude! I hope LY overlooked that crass statement!

I think under the circumstances, what LY did was most commendable - not many people take the trouble to ask if they mind!

Lets have no more silly remarks. Thank you!!!

9. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Well I will be taking my camera to Wembley this Thursday. My remark was slightly tongue in cheek, but seeing mobile phones waving it the air does annoy me. I will be in London for the day this Thursday and if there were convenient, secure lockers where I could leave things I might have left my camera their before entering Wembley. But there is no choice for day trippers like myself, I will chance it that the security think my camera is sufficiently 'non-pro' (the person on the other end certainly is :p).

10. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I often find the simulated shutter noise on a camera phone is louder than the noise of a DSLR mirror/shutter (actually when I use mirror up on my camera the shutter noise is barely discernible) and a phone being held at arms length with a brightly lit screen is much more distracting than a large camera held up to someone's face.

11. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

I agree.

12. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

The remark was definately NOT targeted at London yank....... Sorry but if anybody thinks I would be that nasty doesnt know me at all. Im sorry if that was the way it came across but definately NOT what was intended. The "your not david bailey.. etc was a slightly tongue in cheek remark towards people that do seem to think nobody is allowed to prohibit them from their hobby but they are allowed to poke their camera where it isnt really wanted.. ie other peoples space. its not a strange remark on a photography site.. just because we have a passion for photography doesnt mean we have the right to spoil other peoples enjoyment and that what I see so often when somebody is waving a camera around.

13. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I though the remarks were generic...not personal....

Graeme

14. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

If only everybody was as wise as you Graeme ;)

15. rolloxan

rolloxan Active Member

So today I went to the Athletics session at the Olympic Stadium. I successfuly got in with a Fuji X100 and a Canon 50D w/battery grip and 70-200mm f/4L IS. No questions asked whatsoever.

This isn't wembley I know (where the rules are supposedly different?) but at the Olympic Stadium I'm sure you could get in with whatever you want. Keep in mind the physical size of your lens though - you don't want to be blocking other people's views or banging in to them.

But feel free to take most whatever you want - security really isn't focussing on photographers.

16. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

From watching the various coverage on the BBC and the assorted kit on show in both indoor and outdoor venues, I am struggling to see where any of LOCOG's 'rules' are being enforced - so what is/was the point of these evolving rules?

17. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

It's what committees do. Have to keep themselves feeling important, somehow? Perhaps they ought to worry about the techniques used (away from the cameras) to get dressage horses doing their unnatural things...

18. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

I reckon it's the plums taking photos with their iPads that are the most ridiculous :D

19. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Hasn't this thread run its course? After all the O------s are nearly over, and after all this time it is no longer BREAKING NEWS:

20. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Tell that to the BBC!