1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics bosses drastically tighten photo rules

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Aug 2, 2012.

1. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Olympics bosses drastically tighten photo rul

I have just watched the highlights of the women's Karen. Ibet that all the tabloids will be selling their grannies to get hold of the phone snaps of Pendelton and her boyfriend after the race.......not a compact or slur in sight.

Graeme

2. LondonYank

LondonYank Member

Just FYI I got in with the exact same kit last night, and used it sporadically throughout the men's hockey in the Riverbanks Arena - this is a 7D with 70-200mm + 1.4x TC - right in front of the stewards and never a word was spoken.

3. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Open letter to camera manufacturers sponsoring the games:

Dear Sir or Madam.

I am writing to you in regard to the 2012 Olympic games and the rules being applied by the organisers relating to people taking photographs. As things stand, there is considerable confusion regarding what the rules actually say, since people are being told any of the following:
    a] No professional-looking cameras with interchangeable lenses.
    b] No cameras bigger than 30cm.
    c] Cameras with lenses with a focal length longer than 35mm are not allowed.

These rules raise the following issues ...
    1] What is a 'professional-looking camera'?
    2] What cameras do you, or any other manufacturer sell with a lens shorter than 35mm?
    3] What size sensor is this '35mm focal length' rule based on?
    4] Was the reason why you sponsored the the Games, in part due to the increase in revenue would gain by doing so, and if so, do you realise the '35mm' rule means that the cameras you can sell for use during this event, can only be compact and sub-compact cameras, because purchasers of virtually every 4/3rds, m4/3rds, APS-C and FF cameras, will not be allowed to take/use them at any of the events?

Awaiting your reply with bated breath,
    p.p All British and foreign amateur photographers.

4. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

That's a relief to hear. Perhaps then, LOCOG has to have the rules to cover itself, but on the ground they are applied sparingly, or only if someone really causes an obstruction with their gear.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has actually been prevented from entering or had their gear confiscated.

Regards, Mike

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Surely, if pro looking cameras and long lenses were actually being confiscated at the entrances to Olympics venues, we would have heard about it ?

It won't affect me, as I never applied for tickets anyway, and am now thinking one week is more than enough...

6. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Especially as they say confiscated items won't be returned. There will probably be a documentary about the games after it's all over, when they'll reveal the huge roomfuls of confiscated kit! ;)

7. LondonYank

LondonYank Member

I have to agree, I am sure if there had been confiscations of any camera equipment, somebody would have made a stink about it by now.

My big personal questions is, do I have the minerals to try to get the same kit into the men's boxing final and men's basketball final next weekend? Have to gauge if I think they are going to be as lenient in the big ticket events....

8. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Watching the indoor cycling over the past few days, MOPs are (were?) able to take in and use all manner of cameras, including DSLRs, in the velodrome.
    Also seen MOPs with DSLRs on monopods in the stands at some outdoor events.

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic but I have just got back from the final day of the rowing events and I would like to say a big thank you to LOCOG for a superbly organised event. I decided not to take a bigish camera but saw several others that must have come close to the 30cm rule and they appeared to got in with no trouble.

Even more off topic, as we were leaving I thanked the soldiers on duty for manning the security checks and SWIBO said to them that she was sorry that they had had to be called in, and got the reply "we all volunteered"

Roger

10. lucasmacad

lucasmacad Member

Off to the stadium tomorrow night for the 100m final - has anyone actually been into the main stadium with their camera? Keen to know what I can / can't bring along before I leave the house tomorrow. Not too keen on having my gear 'confiscated' either.
    Terribly frustrating all this nonsense - would be really keen to understand the actual concern of the games organisers over paying ticket holders bringing their cameras to an event of their life. The price of my ticket surely offsets any downside they might feel from me taking a photo of Usain Bolt and sending it to my mother??

L

11. evie

evie New Member

I've just come back from the Olympic Park (saw athletics in the stadium). I got in with a canon 650d, 10-22mm, 1.4ex, 70-200 F4 L. No problems at all, no comments, no-one even asked me to open my bag. Also fine taking shots with the above and they were also fine when I wandered around a level that wasn't my own with the gear taking other shots.

Easy peasy and lots of smiles from the stewards!

12. lucasmacad

lucasmacad Member

@evie - thanks for that...lessens my worry slightly for tomorrow.

13. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

14. lucasmacad

lucasmacad Member

@p_stoddart - yep - all nuts

15. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

I'm almost certainly going to be in a tiny minority (of one) here but I think I'd almost certainly support restrictions on photography at events.

I'd hate having someone with a DSLR and 70-300mm lens waving it about anywhere near me and constantly firing off shots throughout an event and I personally can't see why anyone would want to. I wouldn't, but maybe that's just me.

If writing the rules I think I'd be tempted to ban all tripods and supports and only allow the use of physically larger gear such as DSLR's and the larger bridge and CSC camera and lens combinations during opening preparation and closing moments and not during actual play. Compacts, camera phones and smaller gear is more difficult and probably impossible to control but I'd "ban" all flash photography during play and politely ask all people bringing equipment capable of capturing moving or still images to behave responsibly and not in any way which could either distract competitors or spoil the enjoyment of any member of the public. Although during the opening ceremony there wasn't the possibility of distracting competitors it was a spectator event and I'd have limited larger gear because of the possibility of users spoiling the enjoyment of those around them.

One or two snaps now and again is unlikely to be a problem for anyone but the constant use of larger equipment is more likely to be as IMVHO some people taking images at events really couldn't give a toss if they spoil the enjoyment or view of people around them and I'd be happy to see restrictions upon them as with no restrictions they'd possibly even if unwittingly spoil it for others.

Quick PS. I suppose we could avoid the whole issue of photographers potentially spoiling the enjoyment of others by reserving an area at the back... tripods wouldn't even be a problem. Kissing couples would have to find somewhere else to cuddle.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  16. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

I'll sit with you Alan. Last thing I want, after paying good money to see an event is being stuck near someone enthusiastically snapping away for any duration. Also, people holding up their mobile phones/compact cameras and obstructing/distracting the view very much annoys me.

In fact, have done with it and ban all cameras (except from designated areas, next to them kissing).

17. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Banning things solves nothing, it just results in life being not worth living. Just ask people to act responsibly, and ban them - not the gear they want to carry - if they won't comply.

18. LondonYank

LondonYank Member

Just to be clear, when I went to the hockey and brought out my telephoto lens I made sure to check with all around me that it was OK and to let me know if me using it bothered them at any point. And, clearly, I probably only had it in my hands for < 20% of the action, if that. Otherwise I was holding a beer, doing the Mexican wave, clapping and doing all the normal spectatory things.

I echo the sentiment above that just because some people think they should be banned, does not necessarily follow that they should be banned. When they reach the level of a public order offence, then let's talk. But just banning on preference is not really a sensible approach, in my opinion.

Apropos of nothing I hereby provide a link to my efforts from Friday night, such as they are.

19. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I already suggested there should be photography tickets. But it not just as point out people using dSLR. I get my view whether shooting or not blocked by people using backscreens and waving them right in front my line of sight.

Same thing happens with umbrellas at out door events. My camera can go totally silent if needed and the lens does not extend to much. I also tend to use the finder not the back screen.

20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

If the rows of seats were staggered, people look between the spectators in front of them, rather the back of their heads. This would also mean the walkways down through the seats, would have a bit more space for people to pass by each other. It would however mean losing a seat on every other row, but maybe make everyone's view at an event, better. Maybe this is either just too obvious a solution, or the lure of getting maximum number of 'bums on seats' is of greater importance?