1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics bosses drastically tighten photo rules

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Aug 2, 2012.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Olympics bosses drastically tighten photo rul

That's bonkers! :mad:

It makes a total mess of the sponsors Panasonic and Samsung.

If you visit the Getty Image gallery you find a selection of CSCs on display.

Surely those two sponsors back the games BECAUSE they make CSC. Which is a serious option instead of a bulky dSLR.

What's the position on bridge cameras? Mine can do 28-400mm and I suspect with the lighting the venues (probably new high performance LED systems daylight balanced) I would not need 800ISO to get decent shutter speed.

Now if the americans have come over here with reasonable kit (CSCs) and then find they are are blocked. LOCOG might find themselve on the end of a class action lawsuit for breach of contract. They will want their airfare back and ticket money back. The rules were laid out well before hand. Changing them this late in the day is bad faith.

I tell what will happen it will drive ticket sales down big time. I was thinking of buying tickets to the Paralymics I might now reconsider. Watch out LOCOG prepare for very empty venues during those games.

Shame on you LOCOG. :(

You will only have yourself to blame if you end up with alot of angry people on your back.

AP you sure 35mm focal length? Seems odd. I means what about the Nikon V1 and Olympus MFT?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  3. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

I can't make out whether the organisers are malicious or simply fools.

I wonder whether there are enough military personnel left to fill the empty seats. Probably call on G4S to help?

4. Trismegistus

Trismegistus Active Member

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Olympics bosses drastically tighten photo

I agree it's bonkers. What would make more sense at various sporting venues though is a workable ban on flash photography. I know that flash is banned already at many venues, but otherwise well meaning folk transgress when their compact, bridge whatever takes over and stubbornly fires flash every time :)

It is unfair to the competitors as witnessed at successive Wimbledon tennis when play is halted whilst umpires admonish spectators for the distraction caused to players from inbuilt flash firing automatically. I suspect that many enthusiastic tennis fans have no wish to be a nuisance, but probably don't realize that distance defeats the flash anyway and perhaps have no idea how to turn the flash off from its default setting.

I suspect that these issues aren't just confined to tennis and the organizers of these events don't wish to be unduly harsh on fans with cameras, but it is a growing problem nevertheless.

5. P_Stoddart

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Olympics bosses drastically tighten photo

Agreed, those who know the craft of photography are aware that flash is pointless from that distance.

Trouble is some compacts will not turn off flash I believe.

Of cause the solution was staring them in the face. Tickets for photographers. I personally would be happy with that.

Just like in the old days you had tickets for smokers and non-smokers on aircraft.

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Has all the hallmarks of a blind panic reaction.

Someone's leant on them and they're banning everything in sight.

Stupid, stupid, stupid:mad:

I'd hope some US visitors *do* hit them with a class action suite, but I know who'd have to pick up the bill:mad:

7. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

A work colleague of mine managed to get his 5D MkII and a 70-300 L series telezoom into the opening ceremony!! I still have no idea how the hell he managed it but he got some stunning shots!

I told him to watch himself as the AP forums are hotting up about the "abuse" snappers are taking at the games for taking "pro-looking" kit inside, looks like the poor sod might get some grief when he heads to the athletics at the coming weekend!

8. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Please see my signature below! :)

Regards, Mike

9. BikerMike

I would still like to know what they do with the hundreds of tourists who may have no idea of these rules and turn up with cameras.

Can they really confiscate thousands of pounds worth of equipment or turn away people who have paid hundreds of pounds for tickets?

What happens to the confiscated gear?

Is this why half the seats are still empty? :)

Regards, Mike

10. P_Stoddart

Maybe, faced with losing you kit over a ticket that might be worth alot less. You going to walk.

Does AP know if these restrictions are the worse imposed in a games? What about Sidney and Athens?

11. P_Stoddart

Now we get the real reason. :mad:

So what's that got to with security. Answer none. :(

Yet our security which the taxpayer is now paying for is being asked to protect photo rights. In venues owned by oh yes the taxpayer.

Totally disgusting. How the hell do you define pro kit? Are they going look up every model of camera before making a decision.

PS: No CSC is considered pro kit. So massive really massive contradication. They are all considered consumer level product. At best the Olympus E5 is considered semi-pro.

Just watching C4 news one of the most iconic image of 1968 was taking by you guessed it a amateur.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/sunday-review/why-olympic-records-are-broken-or-not.html?_r=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allsport

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  12. BikerMike

Yes, forced into that Hobson's choice I expect you are right. But that could seriously p*ss off a very large number of tourists, from all over the world, who would end up having travelled all the way here for nothing.

Had the rules been clear from the start, I could begrudgingly accept them, but to change them after 4 days into the games just makes the organisers into an incompetent laughing stock.

And then max 35mm focal length? (presumably 35mm equivalent) Are there any cameras on the market that only have a max of 35mm focal length?

Nincompoops, complete nincompoops.

Please see my signature below. I've been trying to tell the world for years. :)

Regards, Mike

13. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

I really think we need a new law on photo rights.

My suggestion runs along these lines:

Anyone charging admission to an event is admitting that the venue is a public area and the organiser therefore has no rights to prevent ticket holders from carrying with them or using any equipment which would be legal on public property.

If organisers wish to restrict items that carried into the venue or used at it, for any reason including national security and commercial intellectual property rights, they cannot charge for admission.

14. P_Stoddart

It just the whole CSC thing is just crazy. Tourist I likely to use that very kind of kit because it is light a less bulky.

Or they might go for a light entry level dSLR. But neither is pro kit. So where the line?

Let say you turn up with a Nikon D3200 and 18-270mm zoom. That does not break the 30cm rule. It not pro kit. But you will be able to get amazing shots. If you have a 35mm focal length rule. Well where does that leave high compacts? Or high performance bridge.

Trouble is if you look at today entry-level kit 10 years ago it would have been considered pro.

See we are reaching the plateau of photography technology. Magazine and online only need around 9MP for A4 page. So the new generation of even entry level stuff is able to knock out that no problem.

When I was watching TV today (cycling) I saw lots of dSLR with lenses clearly over 35mm.

It is interesting is it not that these rules pop up the day before the stadium is used for the main stuff. :rolleyes:

15. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

Nikon D800 with 35mm f1.4! What do I win?

Oh, hang on. That would be a professional set up......

16. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

17. BikerMike

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

The words OUR SOULS spring to mind.

What the hell are these muppets on? They've had the biggest plate of gravy in the world handed to them, and they're still not satisfied. I've seen plenty of people with CSCs and dSLRs in the TV coverage, and everyone was enjoying themselves - any reference to interfering with the view of spectators is complete oblox, and LOCOG can rest assured that they will go down in history as one of the biggest bunch of twonks in history.

Could we have an extra bout of archery and shooting, with LOCOG holding the rules up on sheets of paper please?:D

19. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

Noticed a couple of monopods too in the spectactors' area :p

20. P_Stoddart

Yep, so zero points. Please keep playing. :p