1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympic Hockey .. is the pitch really waterlogged?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rupert49, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

Whenever I catch any of the hockey games (whilst trying to find something that does interest me!) I've noticed, especially on the replays, that there appears to be a lot of water on the pitch, resulting in visible spray when certain shots are played.

Is an artificial hockey pitch really soaking wet, and if so .. why? :confused:

2. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

When I first saw this effect, I assumed that it must be water left over from a cleaning operation or some such, but it occurs so regularly that I guessed it must be deliberate.

When I looked it up I discovered that the upper surface is supported sometimes by a sand layer, but sometimes by a water filled sponge that has to be kept wet to give a consistent feel to the surface. These so called hydraulic surfaces seem to be the preferred ones.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Are the players playing with knees bare? Could be it is to prevent skin burns from the artificial surface.

Helfansaftee, and all that! :rolleyes::eek:

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Not an answer to your question but I watched the Netherlands women yesterday. Those skin tight tunics..... Wow..!!

5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I think the hockey stick in the face is more a of a problem from what I've seen. :p

6. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

My daughter plays hockey on a variety of water or sand 'dressed' pitches, in general she prefers water as you only get wet when you fall as opposed to getting your legs ripped to pieces. Her home pitch is sand so there's always a good supply of Savlon in the house.

The different surfaces are explained here.

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Too right! Happened to a classmate during a mixed game. The non-hockey playing boys did not know the correct grips and stick etiquette. IIRC, today's referees are quite hot on stick 'fouls' these days but am just going on conversations with an ex-County player. Haven't watched any since Sean Curly's days. :)

Those precious, underpaid and delicate little flowers playing in the FA's Premiership used to complain of 'burns' on artificial surfaces which may explain some of the extra clothing worn by them. They'll be wearing scarves & hats soon, if the temperature drops below 20 degrees C. Spectators had to fork out vast sums for tickets so that heated grass could be installed in place of astroturf. :rolleyes:

8. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

They have one of these pitches at our sports & social club. It has a number of huge sprinklers, for want of a better word, which perioically water the pitch. It's rather refreshing when you are trudging back from the outdoor 5-a-side pitches to feel the cool spray drifting over you.

9. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Team GB were certainly sunk by the Dutch this evening - 9-2 :(

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I mind the time, when I were a lad :)D), we played hockey on real grass which could become a quagmire in the spring term. I remember standing near the touchline and seeing curtains of rain sweeping across the pitch. Decided to do cross-country (Literally cross-country, the school was in Dorset) after that, as we had a free day if the weather was inclement. Softy? Me? Yeah, right!

11. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

From the BBC news website (Olympic oddities):

"London 2012 is the first world hockey event to be played on a different coloured synthetic turf to the traditional green. The water-based surface at the Hockey Centre at the Olympic Park in London uses a high-performance polyethylene resin, helping to make it the world's fastest pitch. The run-off areas are shocking pink, and the colour changes are designed to improve viewing for players, officials, spectators and broadcasters."