1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oldest photographic societies in the UK

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nf3996, Sep 13, 2017.

1. nf3996

nf3996 Well-Known Member

Can anyone point me to a list of the UK's oldest photographic societies and their dates of foundation? My local club claims to be one of the oldest (founded in 1893). I'm sure there are plenty older, and I'd like to see where it sits in the 'league table'.

Many thanks,

Alan

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

The Royal Photographic Society was founded in 1853. You're not going to find any older than 1839 I wouldn't imagine ;-)

peterba likes this.
  3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

The Leeds Photographic Society claims to be the oldest - it was founded in 1852. But I'm sure you could google this as well as I can!

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And when I tried to go along, it still had all the original membership. ;)

peterba, Scphoto, DaveM399 and 3 others like this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

:D Good one! :D

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I do hope you aren't suggesting that Brian was an original member.....

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Certainly not.

Brian didn't live in Leeds at the time. ;)

LesleySM, Catriona and spinno like this.
  8. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

"However, it was not until The Great Exhibition at Crystal Palace, London, in 1851 that photography had caught the imagination of the wider public and photographic societies began to be established, first in Leeds (1852), then London (1853), Liverpool (1853), Manchester (1855) then the Photographic Society of Scotland (PSS) in Edinburgh (1856)."
    Source (really worth an explore) http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/4/4_eps_brief_history.htm#02_founding_members

Graeme

Catriona likes this.