1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old film

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Col. Hogan, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

My husband recently handed me an old roll of unexposed Verichrome Pan VP 620 film. It's still sealed in its wrapper and has a develop by date of September 1959. Is there any possibility that since it's still sealed in the wrapper that it's any good? Diane Maher

2. TOMPKINS

TOMPKINS Well-Known Member

Hi Diana,
    Some of "Scott of the Antartic's" exposed film was successfuly processed some eighty years after it's sell by date.So if yours has been stored in similar conditions perhaps it's still usable. Why don't you just try it, but don't use it for that, once in a lifetime shot. Go on try it and let us know how it turns out.
    Regards,
    Brian.

TOM

3. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

Diane

I'd guess that the film would have lost some speed and contrast. I don't know if you've got a camera that would take 620 film (if I remember correctly, it's the same size as 120 but the spool is slightly different) - likely to a 50's fold out camera I'd guess.

Maybe the film is more important as a museum piece than an actual roll of film to use. Do you have the original box that it came in?

David

4. Col. Hogan

As a matter of fact, I do have both a camera that will take it and the original box it came in. I think it's a Kodaflex or something like that. I'll have to look when I get home. It has a ruby window on the back.

Okay, I also had some film developed [several years ago] that was from the early 70's and for the most part, the pictures came out red. What happened? Age of film or new chemistry vs. old?

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

620 was one of many of Kodak's attempts to enlarge market share by introducing new formats - all of which have failed (think 828, 110, 126, Disk but there are many others).
    It was mostly used in lower-end box and folding cameras, and for the life of me I can't see the purpose of it apart from the above reason. Still, I have a soft spot for it, as my Dad had a Box Brownie 620 Model D when I was a kid (I still have it), and it was the first camera I ever used. We found a roll taken on it 20 years previously, which I developed, and although the images lacked contrast they were priceless - pictures of me, my brother and sisters as kids. So I'm sure you could still get an image from it, but I would follow David's advice and find a worthwhile home for it.

Nick

6. David Stout

Diane

I'm a bit confused now - Verichrome Pan? The 'chrome' bit suggests a transparency film (hence your assertion that the pictures came out red) but the Pan bit suggests a panchromatic B&W emulsion. I suppose 'Pan' could have been used to suggest that all the colour layers respond equally well - it was, I believe originally used to indicate a B&W emulsion that responded equally well to all colours rather than orthochromatic emulsions which were commonplace 50 odd years ago which were insensitive to red.

David

7. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

I actually used Kodak Verichrome Pan in 1959 when I had my first camera. It was a B&W Panchromatic film & I'd never thought of the suffix 'chrome' being only later applied to colour transparency films,
    Clive

8. Col. Hogan

The film that gave the red pics was Kodacolor X, a color negative film. It says process C-22 on it. Also Daylight or blue flash and below that, CX 135-20. It's in a yellow metal film canister.

As far as the Verichrome Pan, that's what it says on the box. It also says in small print, "Fast Panchromatic Film". Hope that sorts you out. Sorry if I confused you.

9. David Stout

Ah! The red pics are probably explained. The C-22 process is long obsolete and has been replaced by C-41 - I guess the processors thought 'colour film' and put it through the C-41 channel. Your original assumption was correct - wrong chemicals.

David

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Verichrome Pan is, I believe, still available in the US, but was the first B&W film I used (in the late 70's/early 80's I hasten to add). In the UK, I believe you can get it from Silverprint.

Nick