1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Robert P, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Robert P

Robert P New Member

Hi all, this is my first post and a question already :)

I recently received a camera a friend of mine purchased on a car boot, a 1960's Ilford Sporti. Inside it was a roll of 120 with Shell branding, I guess dating from the 1960's, with 7 frames exposed.

My question is could there be any possibility an image has survived on the film for that length of time, and if so can I develop this film in C41 chemistry? I know it will probably be heavily degraded but just thought it might be worth a shot.

The camera works fine by the way...

If anyone knows anything about this film and could advise that would be great.

Cheers

Robert

Attached Files:

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There may still be something there, time will have degraded it though. I take it you have wound the film through and sealed it. I know nothing about the film, if it is from the '60s it will not be C41 process, it may be possible to process it as black & white, there are a small number of companies do handle this kind of work. If it is later it may be C41, it is usually marked somewhere.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I can't find anything about the film, but that address for their processing service is that of Dixon's Photo Trade Processing Ltd.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

C41 came in in, I think, 1974, so it will probably be the older C22 process (found a roll of C41 in a No 0 Box Brownie once - so used within my lifetime!).

There are firms who will develop, but at considerable cost and you may have a long delay as they save up films until they have enough to be worth doing the chemicals for. You can develop in B&W chemistry - it will come out looking as though it's been stewed in old tea but should be scannable if there is anything on it still.

Adrian

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

A search of the web for "found film developing" brings up dozens of interesting sites.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

8. Robert P

Robert P New Member

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys, I haven't done anything with it yet, looking around it seems Kodak HC110 is the preferred b&w developer for this type of film. I'll get hold of some and give it a try, I will of course post the results (if any) up here for you to see:)

Thanks again,

Robert