1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh no Camera purchase advice again!

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by owen1978, Mar 3, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You can practice with any camera, because all cameras operate on the same basic principals and physics. Once you understand the relationship between sensor size, lens focal length and aperture, you can apply that knowledge to a £10,000 camera or a £50 toy.

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Why not pop into a local High Street shop that does passport photos? See what their set-up is like for a tight head shot then multiply it out for full length. Or next time you are with a group of friends outdoors, see how far away you have to be framing them through a thumb & forefinger rectangle made with both of your hands at almost relaxed arms length.

I would echo nimbus final question above.

3. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Not that this will help, but , I use a 24mmf1.4 nikon,on FX and in RAW, with lens correction, can get all in from close, with minimal distortion, but at a price.:rolleyes:
    (I happen to like the effect of a wide lens up close !!!)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Even with groups? I'd expect those at the edge of the frame to suffer, especially if the camera isn't quite level. I took some pictures at a celebratory dinner once, 8 people to each round table and no room to manouver so using 24 mm (although not a prime). The leftmost and rightmost in the table groups had a rather wider grin than nature intended!

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Why stop at 24mm?

If the OP really wants to spend some cash on this enterprise and 'get it all in', I'd recommend a very Zeiss 15mm Milvius lens on a Nikon D5.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  6. owen1978

owen1978 Member

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread for help and advice.... hope I didn't upset anyone too much with such a silly question that I originally posted.

Been doing a lot research over the weekend, we don't have endless amounts of money unfortunately.. :(
    We are going to have a green screen, and some lighting!

Think we will have to go with a second hand full frame camera, I am currently hunting down a Nikon D700 and am looking at the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G Lens to go with it.
    We will be printing 13 x 18 prints. So the 12mp should be fine.

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That would be a not so good idea. Edge distortion of faces sets in around 28mm on full frame and by 20mm is pretty fierce. People at the edge of frame will look very odd and might not want to pay you for the privilege. Here's an example of the problem, in this case from 17mm on a full frame but 20mm will be no less horrible...

[​IMG]

8. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Most of the posts here are warning you against your choice...and they are right.
    Short distances to subject means using a wide angle lens if you want to get a lot in - no problem there, but your subjects will look weird.
    If you ever watch a tv program and there is a close up of the character, you will often see that their head/nose looks huge in comparison to the rest of them. This is because relatively, they are far closer to the sensor than the rest of the body.
    The last time I shot a group of people I used a Nikon 1 j5 with a 10-30mm lens.
    There is nothing wrong with this setup as long as you have really good lighting, but even here, the distance was around 7 metres for 8 people.

If you want to know what different lenses/cameras will produce, a good start will be to look at a simulator:
    http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/

9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Good Luck with your business venture, but I'm out!