1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh Deer...

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by DaveS, Oct 3, 2019.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

.... And Stephan too!
    Been a long time since I posted anything here due to the rubbish weather, and not sure I should be posting this yet but I might as well since it's likely to be a while before I can add any more data to it.

The "Deer Lick" group of galaxies in the top left comprising NGC 7331 and a group of fainter galaxies known as "the fleas". Not really connected as NGC 7331 is "only" 50 million LY away while the fainter ones are more like 500 million LY.
    In the bottom right is an interacting group known as "Stephan's Quintet discovered by Edouard Stephan in 1877. The blue galaxy is a foreground object about 40 million LY away while the other 4 are 240-310 million LY away.

LRGB 8 hr 30 min sat boost reduced.jpg
    This is 8 1/2 hours in total made up of 2 hours each in red, green and blue in 10 min exposures, plus 2 hours 30 mins of luminance, also in 10 min exposures.. Processing was somewhat involved, and boring to any but another astrophotographer so I won't detail it here.
    If I do manage to get more data this season I'll add it to the image and update.

2. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

What a beautiful thing! thanks for sharing that. The mind boggles, not only at the image but at your ability to capture all that :)

DaveS and peterba like this.
  3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Astounding.

DaveS likes this.
  4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. As I had to reduce the size and and quality I thought I'd do a couple of 1:1 crops of the main groups.

Deer Lick

Deer Lick.jpg

And Stephan's Quintet

Stephan.jpg

It helps to be living in a fairly dark location. I tried imaging this grouping two years ago when I lived in Ruislip, the results were so poor that I just binned them to save space. The Bride Valley is a LOT darker making imaging galaxies so much more rewarding.
    This was imaged with a 130 mm f/7 triplet apo refractor with a field corrector and cooled CCD camera of only 6 mp, through separate Red, Green and Blue interference filters.

sappymike12, AndyTake2 and daft_biker like this.
  5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Amazing stuff.

DaveS likes this.
  6. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Apart from being great pictures, these are the sort of images that could make people sit up and question whether they really need 20 and more megapixies on their cameras/phones.

DaveS likes this.
  7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I am, as always, bl**dy impressed...:cool::cool::cool:

PeteRob and DaveS like this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Me too!

DaveS likes this.
  9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Just member that you're standing on a planet that's evolving and revolving at 900 miles an hour...

10. RovingMike

Revolving certainly, but evolving? ;)

11. beatnik69

That's why you have to wait for the last line. :D

12. RovingMike

....in opposite directions?

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK, I said I'd update this if I got more data, and I have. Been a long frustrating slog with the weather and the moon, but now have 17 1/2 hours. I think I'll put this to bed since to make a significant improvement will need the same again (Signal to noise goes as the square root). 3 hours each of Red, Green, and Blue and 8 1/2 hours Luminance. I also treated myself to a new version of the software I use for processing (AstroArt, now V7).

17 Hour LRGB reduced.jpg

I could describe the processing but it was long and involved, and probably only of interest to another astrophotographer
    TS 130 f/7 Triplet Apo, TS 2 1/2" Flattener. Baader LRGB filters, Starlight Xpress Trius 694 camera on ASA DDM60 mount encoder guided with ASA software. The plate scale is 1.03" per pixel, doubt if my sky would support anything better.

14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

But I could just point my camera at the sky on a dark day and get the same result right? :)

Astounding image.

AndyTake2 and DaveS like this.
  15. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Beautiful image.
    I could only dream of creating such images when I was doing astronomy (a Zenit E on a wooden tripod wasn't quite in the same ballpark)

16. beatnik69

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
    'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"