1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ogden Chesnutt

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotoEcosse, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

A bit of background. I was "away" because my father died in July and I had to be in Scotland for his funeral. Thanks to a missed e-mail (apparently it never arrived at AP) there weren't any articles in stock. Frances and I had been up to Scotland in mid June to see him while he was still alive -- we arrived on his 88th birthday, June 12 -- and then we went back to France about ten days later. We were told that he might last a few hours, a few days, a few weeks or a few months.

We then went down to Arles for the Rencontres, with an exhibition each. Four days after we got back, he died. Back to Scotland. I drove 8000km in 8 weeks: 5000 miles in 56 days. During that time I spent many hours at my father's bedside when he was dying; matted, framed and hung several dozen pictures; then went back to Scotland and delivered the eulogy at his funeral. After that I helped his second wife to clear up some things: my mother died in 1974 and he remarried half a decade later.

R.

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I do, Eric, but it never really 'pressed my buttons' :eek:, so to speak. :rolleyes: AP austere? Well, I never ... :) Cheers, Oly

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Condolences Roger, from me but I'm sure the other Forum members would wish to be included. Good wishes, too, to all for the inevitable aftermath (possessions, executorship, memories, feelings) that can take time to unravel. Cheers, Oly

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

So sorry Roger, nothing is quite like loosing a parent and you have my deep sympathy.

Also for the email, we have just had a complete b**** up from the company that used to be Demon and they transferred our emails to an "associated company"who did not pick them up! When emails go wrong complete disaster strikes.

5. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

I too was overjoyed to see Ogden Chesnutt on the last page of this week's AP .. I used to really enjoy the long running saga of his film exploits with his beloved Pentax, versus Eli's digital beginnings. The humour was a great lift at the close of every fourth week's publication.

Ogden Chesnutt used to share the back page schedule with Roger Hicks and a chap (whose name escapes me for the moment) who undertook to use a different obsolete film camera every week for a year. When Ogden left I was sorry to see him go, so to see him re-emerge this week was a delight!

I still go first to the back page every week .. Roger's analysis of some often very strange photographs really gets me thinking 'outside the box' when I appraise my own work and that of others.

PS. Condolences Roger .. I lost my own 88-year old mother last year, followed a couple of months later by her 86-year old brother, a favourite uncle of mine. Difficult times to be sure, but we'll always have our memories and, I suspect in your case, a shed load of photographs.

6. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Tony Kemplan, still (I believe) to be found under the 'Viewpoint' banner.

http://52cameras.blogspot.co.uk

7. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

My condolences Roger.

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Condolences from me also Roger.

It's a horrible time at best, and it sounds like you had it worse than many.

S

9. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

My condolences too, Roger.

My father passed away 10 years ago. I still miss him.