1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ogden Chesnutt

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotoEcosse, Aug 22, 2015.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

How refreshing to have this week's Final Analysis guested by Ogden Chesnutt.

A bit of variety in this weekly column would be worth pursuing on a longer-term basis, either by rotation of several contributors or by a number of guests interspersed with the regular incumbent.

Eric

2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Ye gads! Cheers for the heads up :) I have to wait for wednesdays to get mine but will be very good to read from the pen of Ogden again, I wonder how his SV has been doing.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

What date Eric? I get the online version and am up to the 22nd August.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

August 29th, while Roger is away.

I tend to think that posts about the latest version are best held until Tuesday which is the day it is mostly available in the shops - but then I bought it in the shops for more years than I can remember - but this particular post gives little away :)

5. Catriona

I would prefer to read it in hard copy, but so often I can't find it in the shops here.

6. PeteRob

The subscription mail hard copy most often gets to me on a Saturday, sometimes it is late and very occasionally early.

I didn't like at all the example on-line version at all. I cannot abide scrolling around an enlarged page with too much information on it. I take a paper on-line (the Times) on an iPad because you get it article by article, can select a big font and each article then reflows to fit one or more pages. Photos can open separately. I started when I was working abroad and it was a delight to read the English version.

7. Catriona

That's interesting about the Times, thanks. I actually hate the online AP version via the provider I got (Zinnio) as you say, navigating the pages is a pain and I haven't sussed how to print anything from it if I want to. It's certainly nothing I want to put on a repeat subscription! I might do the Times though, especially as to get it, means a fair walk to a shop in the afternoon - and in the winter, that might not be a nice thing to do.

8. PeteRob

On an ipad, if you are deft (it involves pressing the app close and power button at the same time ), you can do a screen capture to jpg then reassemble the pages in another program, I have used power point and saved to pdf when I want to keep a specific article for reference or have a hard copy. Generally online paper/magazine apps do not provide for printing - that would impact the market for their hard copy versions.

The Times and Sunday Times loads overnight using newsstand so that, mostly, it is ready to read when you wake up (unless you are a real early bird - it might not be there at 05:00).

9. Catriona

Why?
    I've had a look online for his stuff, but found little to read or look at so far.

10. PhotoEcosse

Don't you remember when he had a monthly column in AP? It was a welcome touch of humour in an otherwise austere publication.

Eric

11. Catriona

No I really don't. Mind you, I had a few years away. :)

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I always thought that Ogden Chesnutt was a light hearted nom de plume of one of the magazine's regular more serious contributors.

13. manxman2

manxman2 Well-Known Member

Here's another recommendation for The Times on a tablet. Mind you The Guardian is just as good! Newspaper implementations on my iPad have been a revelation, since it is no longer possible to get an early morning delivery of hard copy where I live.

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

How do you do the crossword/sudoku/whatever? :confused:

15. Catriona

Good point! I'm guessing interactively online? Hmm. Well, I just got soaked walking to the shop for my copy, so I think a cuppa is called for.

16. PeteRob

The Times interactively. For the Sunday Times a pdf version can also be requested - it is emailed within a few seconds and can be printed. The daily version can be hardcopied by taking screen shot and printing the resulting jpg - may take more than one shot to get all the clues.

17. Catriona

Thanks guys. I think it is time to take out a subscription! I got soaked today going to get my hardcopy.

By the way, were we all underwhelmed by Ogden?

18. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

It was really nice for the last Page to be the first one I turned to after so long :)

It had Hiku and coronation chicken so it can't have been that bad. All it was lacking in was Pubs, his mate Eli (or was it Egore?) and pints.

19. manxman2

manxman2 Well-Known Member

The crossword implementation on the Times iPad edition is simply brilliant...

20. PhotoEcosse

Hooray!!

Both the pub and Eli are resurrected in this week's issue (5 September).

:)