1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Office Chair' on thick carpet.

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by dangie, Oct 30, 2017.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

We've just had a new carpet in the 'computer room'. Quite soft and with thickish underlay. Very nice to walk on but hell of a problem for the wheeled office chair, plus wifey not keen on what it will probably do to the carpet. I'm sure others here have had a similar problem so what have you done?

I've seen the clear plastic floor protector sheets but reports from others say they tear easily.

Please don't suggest cutting a hole in the carpet :D

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I would take the view that if it is a fairly small room, as computer rooms tend to be, that a carpet isn't worth getting too worried about, clearly though you may not be in accord with that.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Two things you can try. Change the wheels on the chair. Usually they come supplied with wheels designed for offices - think carpet tile type stuff underfoot. You can buy wheels that work better on domestic carpets. Alternatively, had an office chair in a room with laminate flooring and the wheels were damaging the surface so we bought a plastic protector sheet from Ikea. It was still going strong after five or six years so I don't think that counts as tearing 'easily'. You might find that doing both helps.

RogerMac likes this.
  4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Thanks both. It's actually a spare bedroom but we call it 'computer room' as the computer's in it and there's no bed :)
    I'll have a look at the Ikea protector. As you say 5-6 years is very good.

5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Sit still:)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

A circular rug, perhaps? Prettier than a "carpet protector",

Cheers,

R.

GeoffR likes this.
  7. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I 've had a clear plastic one from Staples for years, it's fairly thick, never had a problem with it tearing.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Me too. I use it to protect a nice (old) rug. Mine has dimples on the back to stop it moving. By far the best option IMHO.

MickLL

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I use one from staples (now Office Outlet) too. It is custom made to go under office chairs so thick enough to allow the chair to roll on its castors.

11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

If you put a plastic protector down, ensure that it is wide enough and long enough to get any use out of it.
    My parents have a plastic runner over their carpet for the office chair, which is complete pants as it only allows them to move smoothly in one plane.
    Carpets and chairs are a real pain to mix.

12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Thanks everyone.
    Short term (maybe), Using 4'x4' sheet of hardboard. Doesn't look good but chair moves nicely.
    Told wifey if she doesn't like the colour I'll paint it.....

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Simple and elegant, I like it.

14. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member