1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off to the Baltic on Friday

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by J H Foto, Jun 9, 2014.

1. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

Anything to look out for...??:)

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

What interests you?

Cheers,

R.

3. J H Foto

Everything really, I am looking forward to the buildings in St Petersberg.

4. Roger Hicks

Sankt Petersburg is one of the most amazing places I have ever visited: staggeringly beautiful. Do not miss the chance of a boat tour of the canals. Visit the public parks too.

Of the Baltic States, I found Lithuania and Latvia underwhelming (dull, flat...), overpriced and not especially welcoming. Estonia is MUCH more fun. How are you travelling?

Cheers,

R.

5. J H Foto

We will be on P&O Oriana...

6. Roger Hicks

You'll be spared the tedium of rural Lithuania and Latvia, then. But surely, you go where the ship takes you. What are your ports of call? How long are you in each place? From my understanding of cruises, you'll be paying only flying visits anyway. Well, floating, if not flying...

Cheers,

R.

7. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Fleeting?:D

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine you won't stop at Tallinn. The old city is magical. Unfortunately the restaurant I was going to recommend turns out to be in Tartu...

Adrian

9. J H Foto

Belgium, Russia, Poland, Estonia, Lithuania and Denmark

10. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I know I only got a D in Geography, but Belgium? On the Baltic?

Must be a Tuesday...

Adrian

11. J H Foto

No of course not, :D its just the first port of call and than a two day sail to Poland.. :D

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have only visited St Petersberg (it was then called Leningrad - I came in from the mainland not via sea) for a few days and not the other sites but I would echo Roger Hicks comment about the outstanding beauty of the buildings. The outlying palaces are more beautiful than it is possible to believe. Those and the contents of the Winter Palace are worth the trip by themselves

13. raphotography

raphotography Member

I am originally from Latvia. If you have enough time I would recommend you to visit 3 cities which are Riga, Jurmala and Liepaja. Riga is good for old school architecture and old towns whereas Jurmala and Liepaja are more famous for nature + sandy beach landscapes. You can find some fascinating and beautiful places down there.

Here is the shot I have taken in my home town Liepaja http://www.romanaltr.co.uk/sea?image#6