1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Of course it's art!

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Despite extensive discussion on the subject it seems nearly all of you agree - that photography can be art. In the most popular poll so far, just under 94% of voters agreed that photography can be art, just over 4% said it couldn't be and under 2% were not sure.

Although it's an old discussion it is still an interesting one, as proved by the number of hits on the original post. I suppose now we have to determine what sort of photography is art, and what sort is not.

Thanks for voting. You can review the discussions here

Damien

2. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Oh dear, that is a whole new can of brown squiggly things.
    Debates to be opened for starters;
    Wet V Inkjet prints
    Film V Digital
    Monochrome V Colour
    Photoshop V Bits of bent wire
    Professional critic V AP readers - see earlier Kobal debates

Oh well, tin hats and flak jackets all round I think.
    Personally I reckon that whatever the methodology, if someone is prepared to pay for a print to hang on a wall then they (at least) consider it to be art.

3. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I don't think even that is a certainty. When I look at all the family photographs that we have on our walls, I would hesitate to claim that most of them are "art".

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

But look at all the "family photographs" of the likes of the Mona Lisa and Laughing Cavalier- they are art, possibly only painted because Leonardo hadn't got round to inventing the camera at that point in his life

5. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Ah but if someone other than family hangs them on the wall, is it art then? ;)

6. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

Surely it must depend on what the subject is? For instance, a photograph of the family or those taken on holiday would hardly count as art, they are more recording a moment in time.

Photo-journalism is a different kettle of fish altogether, not art as such, but there are some superb examples of such photos that I would gladly give wall space to simply for the impact that they make, and the stories that they tell.

There are many categories of photography that really lend themselves as being classified as art if done well, portraiture and nudes being probably the best two examples. Landscapes, again if done well can definately be classed as art, although the genre is so cluttered these days with tired cliched shots.

This is probably too subjective a subject to give a definitive answer to, art as they say really is in the eye of the beholder. What I would consider artistic many here would probably disagree ((leaves himself wide open to some forum abuse here!! :D)). But that is the way it should be. It would be a pretty dull world if we all liked the same thing... :D

7. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

I like this sketch from Monty Python, the last line sums up my feelings on the subject. A classic sketch and no doubt on utube, I just can't be bothered looking for it.