1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OD EM10 vs EM10 mark 2

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Andyf, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Andyf

Andyf Member

Hi Guys,

I made a post ont he general equipment forum about getting a new camera for traveling and i've decided that these models would probably be best as there's lots of decent second hand deals (i'm on a tight budget).

Anyway i'm new to photography and i'm looking for some advice on whethe ri should go for a preowened em10 mark 1 with 14-42mm kit lens for around £280 or whether the em10 mark 2 with the same lens would be better for around £400

i know that the main difference is the IS on the mark 2 is theoretically much better but i;m not sure how much of a difference an armature would see? i will be shooting video with the camera though so it might show a difference there?

Any help is appreciated!

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Depends how the salesman spins it. (Sorry! Just couldn't resist. Not an attack on your personal spelling/typo.)

Seriously, for video, not a lot unless the record/playback format is different. What do you anticipate doing with your pics & video? If most are going on the interwebby, with a still or two printed out to A4-A3 for framing on the wall after you get home, then either camera model will do. Hope it will not happen but worst case scenario - you get robbed during the year. Which would hurt the most? Losing a s/h camera or the new one which might be a friend for life?

3. Andyf

Andyf Member

haha very good :p

probably just keeping them online like you say - printing a few in a4-a3. the price difference between them second hand is around 125 pounds - is the mark two worth that extra? i read it also has better C-AF.

i'll likely be keeping this camera for a number of years so i'm thinking maybe it'd be better to get the mark two but then again, if the difference is practice is negligible it might be better to stick witht he original mark 1

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Only you can decide the answer to that question - do the extra features plus being unused with full warranty, justify the extra price? Whichever you go for, I'd advise against the power zoom lens and get the cheaper, "traditional" one. I find the Olympus kit "EZ" lens particularly nasty to use and am so glad I chose the other type (which was cheaper too)