1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

October Theme - Fast Thirds

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Geren, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Apologies for this but I'm still recovering from the worst weekend in a long time (which culminated in our car being declared not worth repairing) and my brain is still mush. So I'm afraid I'm nicking an idea from our local photography club where we had to pick a card from two different hats and go out and make photographs to fit the two words we now had in our hands. My words were 'fast' and 'thirds'. I had two hours, you have a month, so hopefully you'll do better than I did. For our purposes you can use either one or both words as your inspiration and feel free to interpret the two words as you see fit.

190515-HDPC-002.jpg

190515-HDPC-003.jpg

190515-HDPC-004.jpg

190515-HDPC-010.jpg

190515-HDPC-008.jpg

190515-HDPC-006.jpg

Dan S, Zou, dream_police and 3 others like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your weekend and car - the implication is that it was a bump and hope you, or anyone else, weren't hurt.

This is technically rubbish but it is my favourite picture - an unexpected grab shot at too long an exposure time as I had just taken the camera off the monopod. I've resorted to Flickr resizing rather than rework it.

[​IMG]BV9R0146.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Sorry - should have explained better. It was a breakdown. It just happened en route to the hospital where we were supposed to be collecting our youngest who was admitted on Friday after a very distressing episode where she seems to have had a severe panic attack, blacked out and did some damage to herself while not being herself. The immediate emergency is over and she's now home and back at school but there will have to be ongoing investigations as to what caused all this and it's a worry and a half. As for the car, the cam belt broke exiting a roundabout and it seems, has rendered the engine irreparable. Or at least, not repairable at a cost that makes sense on an eleven year old car with 120k on the clock. It never rains but it pours, eh?
    That said, we're all here to tell the tale and I guess one day we'll laugh.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

A couple of oldies.
    I see I'm going to have to get moving this month! Thanks Kath. :)

ap FAST THIRDS.jpg
    Three selfies superimposed, taken using timer.

And now, three held fast!
    ap THREE HELD FAST.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Hell Kath that is a rough week. Cars can be sorted given time, but I hope your daughter is alright.

However, a brilliant theme and here is my starter:

oil.jpg
    Helping to go faster.

cutters.jpg

Fast in the past.

Round-we-go.jpg
    Round we go

S

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

7. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

8. PeteRob

That's the best "swing" photo that I've seen.

Done_rundleCams, Zou and dream_police like this.
  9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Out of curiosity what car? Make, model and engine would enable a search to check if it is an interference engine with a cam belt. Worth checking it isn't a £20 belt and an hour's labour?

http://yourcarangel.com/2014/07/interference-engines-complete-list/

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  10. dream_police

11. dream_police

12. dream_police

13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It's a 1.9l VW Touran (diesel) which as far as I can tell from a quick google is indeed an interference engine. We were quoted between £1500 and £1800 because the engine is pretty much dead too. We've used this garage for a long time and they've always been pretty reasonable. They had a good look at it and waived the usual tow fee. The inspection was going to be £100 but they after havign a look at it, and attempting to get the engine to turn over they said honestly they wouldn't charge us it because it was pretty clear it was a goner. They are going to bring it back to our flat this afternoon (again no charge...I really don't think they're ripping us off here) because it will take us a bit to save up for another car and if we don't have a vehicle in our parking spot someone else will nab it. Also we can use it for storage!!!!

Zou, EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  14. PeteRob

Doesn't sound a bad price for a reconditioned engine. If the rest of the car is OK it is probably cheaper than getting another car.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  15. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Re. VW car problems. In 2013, after buying VWs since 1977, I was driving a nice 1998 Golf Mark 4 1.6 litre which developed persistent stalling and engine cutout problems after only 113,000 miles and regular franchised dealer servicing during the 9 years I had owned it. The final straw came when the local dealership were confident that it had been fixed, and it started failing again. But this time they wanted £90 for an 'initial inspection and diagnosis' before even discussing the problem with me. Because of its age and problems, it was scrapped and replaced with a 6 year old Nissan Micra, and I would never considered buying a VW again.

I'm now trying to think of a picture to enter.

Geren likes this.
  16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

They sound like good guys to keep using. It was a long shot and I hope you can find a replacement soon enough.

Anyway, hopefully I'll find something to shoot for this month. Maybe even something that isn't dogs:eek::D.

Geren likes this.
  17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Only if you can afford to buy it outright. And also true if you can afford to pay anything at all. For me, the [forced] choice would be 'no new car and no repair either', so it's not always a choice.

Geren and Zou like this.
  18. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Done_rundleCams, Geren and El_Sid like this.
  19. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Dan S, Done_rundleCams, Geren and 5 others like this.
  20. dream_police

You must have a number 3 or a 33? ;)

Geren likes this.