1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

October 2017 theme - A Sense of Place

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Catriona, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Last two from me. Locals, tourists and a boat.
    parking ap.jpg touristrs ap.jpg

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Wherever you are in Felixstowe, the docks seem to dominate the skyline, or so it seems compressed through a 100mm lens.

Docks-Mono-LR.jpg

3. Catriona

Spooky!

Done_rundleCams and Craig20264 like this.
  4. Craig20264

Yes, they seem to hang over the town, but they're actually quite a distance away.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Craig20264

Here's the distance between where I took the image, and the cranes you see.

cranes.jpg

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

7. Catriona

Wow! That's a beautiful picture of ropes. I don't often see them in that condition here.

8. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Taken a few days ago in Los Gigantes, Tenerife. Lovely hotel, delightful grub, great staff: the six of us (family) had a marvellous week.

9. Catriona

Sounds like a plan!
    3.7C here at present. Brr!

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  10. Catriona

Here's mine. Taken at a coolish Stornoway harbour. :)
    ropes ap.jpg ropes 2ap.jpg

11. miked

miked Well-Known Member

The second - ropes - is suggestive (well, to my eyes) of a Saltire, which is why I like it.

12. Catriona

OCTOBER WINNER
    As ever, you have all given me a tough job. This month, I lived vicariously through all your images. I looked for your sense of place, the environment you inhabit and it was a delight to my senses.

You gave me waterfront seascapes, city crowds, lowering cranes, intimate indoor views and magical mystery tours.

All I asked for and more. So thank you all!

To pick a winner was extremely difficult. I went over them all many times and tried to narrow down the task to the feeling I got when viewing the picture/s. Eventually, I came to my shortlist.

I loved the trip through the fairy landscape given by Roving Mike - and his hotel view (#86) was very atmospheric and I'm sure many of us could identify with the scene.
    [​IMG]

RogerMac's (#72) photo of Lyme Regis could have come straight from a British Rail poster. It was magnificent.
    [​IMG]

IvorCamera's (#34) crowd scenes in Birmingham were full of emotion and grabbed my attention immediately. It was a bit scary but you captured the anger and got the message across brilliantly.
    [​IMG]

El Sid's (#50) Man walking his dog on the beach was beautiful. I could identify with that one and the golden colours offset the cold water and evening light.
    [​IMG]

MJB (Martin) (#2) and his view of the sheds came very very close to being the winner. The juxtaposition of the warning signs and the broken down buildings and the setting was so tempting, I wished I had been walking there myself.
    [​IMG]

But a winner I had to choose!

When I saw Andrew Flannigan's series on Exeter, my heart sank to the depths, Exeter holding bad memories for me of hospital visits in my young days and passing through there on my way to the in-laws! You had a hard job there to give me a sense of what your Exeter means to you! You did it though and I congratulate you on changing my perception of Exeter and telling me some of the history too.

My favourite of your images was #23 which was a scene I could hang on my wall and be happy to find new things in it to enjoy. The people and the setting - and your viewpoint was perfect. You encapsulated that part of Exeter beautifully.
    [​IMG]

13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Andrew, all of the other shortlisted entries and, indeed, to everyone who submitted an image - there was some really good stuff and, as ever, I didn't envy Kate for having to choose a winner.

I'm looking forward to seeing what November has in store for us...

Cheers, Jeff

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Nice work choosing Kate - glad that wasn't my job! And many congratulations to Andrew. I really liked this shot for all the different stories represented.

15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Well done, one and all!

S

16. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Andrew, and thanks to Kate. A positive kaleidoscopic range of entries made this another fascinating month's viewing.

17. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Thank you Kate for doing a brilliant job of judging and jollying us along. Well done also to Andrew for a very well deserved win.

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Thanks folks and of course specially to Catriona. I'm going to post the new comp later today.

19. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Congrats to all those who took part and comiser-grats to @Andrew Flannigan for winning and having to choose a new theme.

Done_rundleCams, Geren and Catriona like this.
  20. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Congrats to Andy.

btw @Catriona - how are you pronouncing 'lowering' in that post?