1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

October 2017 theme - A Sense of Place

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Catriona, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Don't apologise! I'm loving them. :)

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My morning trip to town. I see the new Iceland store is stocking up (held up the bus for a time). That shoyuld shake up the Co-op and Tesco. Good!

The observant amongst you (all, I hope) will be able to tell which way the wind blows. :)

we belong to glasgow ap.jpg which way does the wind blow 2 ap.jpg

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Flats at the entrance to Exeter's Sweetbriar Lane. Although the road was developed privately the council retained ownership of the large plot on the Honiton Road junction as well as the allotments which now sit between Vaughan Road and Thornbury Avenue. From the outside at least the flats look quite desireable and well maintained which is a quite different from the run-down council estates that used to characterise the city.

Fujifilm SL300 8GB 05 DSCF3606.JPG

Done_rundleCams and Geren like this.
  4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Nothing too nasty I hope...

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Sure can, it's even put a slant on that big metal thing....:eek:

:D:D:D

Done_rundleCams, Catriona and Geren like this.
  6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Only a mild dose of not-exactly-agoraphobia coupled with a sick child at home and bad weather all conspiring to keep me cooped up for too long. Sometimes I need a kick up the back side to get me out and about. Being on holiday and not having a child around who was up for going anywhere allowed me to give in to my natural hibernating tendencies.

Catriona likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

I can sympathise with that. It's a real booger isn't it? :(

8. Andrew Flannigan

When Exmouth Station was opened in 1861 it had a single platform with a track on either side. By 1924 it was rebuilt with 3 platforms serving 4 tracks. By 1986 the track had been lifted leaving only the current single line served by what had been platform 2. The track no longer even appears to run up to the buffers. What had been platform 1 is now buried under Marine Way (part of the A376) and the rest of the station is a bus and car park.

Panasonic G5_black 8GB 07 _1050015.JPG

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  9. Andrew Flannigan

The Strand at Exmouth was built as a leafy promenade towards the end of the 19th Century when Exmouth was becoming an important resort for the middle classes. It maintained this function through the 1950s but by the mid 80s was beginning to look neglected as the council turned its interests away from tourism. In 2012 the Strand was "regenerated" with the removal of many of the trees and most of the grass plots. The messy folliage was replaced by a "flat arena" surrounding the war memorial. Some may call it progress.

Panasonic G5_black 8GB 07 _1050010.JPG

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Assuming you are referring to the track in your image it almost certainly does. Buffer unit like that are usually bolted directly to the rails as well as being embedded into the track base. In some cases they also seem to have put sand over the last few feet - possibly to help slow the train/loco further before it finally hit the buffers There was a very similar arrangement at a local station that had a small platform that formerly served a branch line. After it stopped being used the end section of the rails were buried even more deeply under a layer of old leaves and compost.

11. Andrew Flannigan

About the only interesting part of the rebuilt Strand in Exmouth is the model Stegosaurus. It's part of a joint project with the Jurassic Coast Team to mark the Jurassic Safari trail with the models being installed in 2016. The local vandals have been less than kind to the models, breaking off pieces and even putting the models to other uses http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-performing-sex-act-fibreglass-dinosaur.html

Panasonic G5_black 8GB 07 _1050012.JPG

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

One of the things, the many things, I've learned about Exeter over this last month is that "ATM in Exeter" is an anagram of "Exterminate". Thank you, i cryptic crossword.

And this thread, of course. ;)

13. Andrew Flannigan

We aim to please. Sometimes we miss ;)

Zou and Done_rundleCams like this.
  14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Roger needs to license that for use in the secret life of chairs.

Geren likes this.
  15. Bipolar

Bipolar Member

I took a day off work last Sunday and went for a walk.
    It stopped raining and the sun came out for a few hours.

Fisherman's dock in Masset.
    [​IMG]

Catriona likes this.
  16. Ianj

Ianj Well-Known Member

I live in "Sunny Ponders End" in the Lea Valley, we are about to be "regenerated"
    All the 60's Tower blocks and maisonettes are to be demolished and replaced
    with low rise accommodation, in the first phase 230 dwellings are to be replaced by 200 ?
    IMG_1516 (600x800).jpg IMG_1493 (800x600).jpg

Catriona likes this.
  17. Ianj

Ianj Well-Known Member

With regard to the topic of Funerals, my friend Trev had the Crem curtains close to "See you later Alligator,
    and a relative had a Bouncy Castle for the Grandchildren.

Trannifan likes this.
  18. Ianj

Ianj Well-Known Member

Has anyone got the faintest Idea what sort of Boat this is?
    Is it an escape boat from an Oil Rig, or a high speed stealth canal cruiser? IMG_1501 (800x600).jpg IMG_1501 (800x600).jpg IMG_1497 (800x600).jpg IMG_1497 (800x600).jpg IMG_1501 (800x600).jpg IMG_1497 (800x600).jpg

19. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Could it be an escape capsule from a drilling rig?

Lynn

20. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Our Garden.
    We had a late night visitor when I let the dogs out for their bedtime wee!

Hog-LR.jpg

Catriona likes this.