1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

October 2017 theme - A Sense of Place

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Catriona, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

October 2017 theme - A Sense of Place

October. A month that brings the promise or threat (in my case) of winter. We all have different environments and the places we call home.

So this month, I want you to give me 'A Sense of Place' - a feeling for your environment.

It can be as small an area as you wish. It can be your home, your shed, your garden, your street, shops, clubs, pubs, the dark alleys, the beach - whatever you feel sums up your sense of place.
    I always feel my place is not nearly as interesting as a city. I find it a challenge to make it interesting or even weird to others, who see my work. So whatever your style of photography, I want it to reflect your place and if possible give me a feeling for it.
    When I see Jack's photos (Done rundlecams), I am at once given a feel for the environment he chooses to show us. Chilling at times, but truly his work gives me a sense of the place he is showing me. Much more than a picture, it's a real feeling of what is happening in that area.
    Geren shows me a real picture of her environment and the people and places around her. The changes going on and the resilience she somehow gets across in her images.
    RovingMike's street scenes give me a feeling of being an onlooker of city life. Mostly I see individuality in his shots - or the lonesome lives of city folk going about their business. Somehow in isolation although surrounded by others. Real London life which I can just about remember.

So, I hope you see what I mean about the subject for this month. Tell me a story. Show me your place and give me a feel for what your place is all about.
    Here are some of my efforts to tell you about my place and give you a feel for my environment.
    sense of place 1ap.jpg sense of place 3ap.jpg sense of place 5ap.jpg sense of place 7ap.jpg sense of place 6ap.jpg sense of place 8ap.jpg

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

One from the archives to start us off. Having had the builders in to look at a small repair to the kitchen floor, I'm now a refugee, with my whole life in storage after they found serious structural problems, asbestos and outdated electrics. This is how I feel my bungalow looks right now:

[​IMG]305A1143 by Martin Bone, on Flickr

Done_rundleCams, Geren and Catriona like this.
  3. Catriona

Gosh, that was a dreadful thing to happen! I used to have nightmares about my old (old) house as I knew it needed masses of work done to it. Fortunately for me, a builder looked on it as a challenge, and bought it. Poor you though. I know it is better that these things are sorted out though. I recall my rubber coated wiring coming out too! I never felt unsafe and was far more concerned at the twitchy fusebox trips in the new wiring afterwards! Best of luck to you. By the way, I love this 'den'.

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Great theme - right up my alley/street/ginnel!

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Even though we have moved into a cottage 50 yards down the lane, I still feel like I'm a displaced person. It's a roof over our head, but it's not 'home'. It's just an inconvenience for us with my landlord paying the price for cutting corners when they built the house and years of patching things up. Looking forwards we'll be moving back to a freshly refurbished and decorated house with a new oil fired Rayburn replacing the old solid fuel dust producer in time for Christmas (alledgedly).

Catriona likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Exeter is an extraordinary mixture of the ultra modern and the truly ancient. Sidwell Street was entirely rebuilt after WWII but one Edwardian survivor remains, the Methodist Church completed in 1905 at a cost of £9,600 by the French engineer Paul Cottancin using a system called ciment arme (literally "cement gun"). It's typical of Exeter in that there's nothing else like it in the city...

Olympus E-PL5 8GB 03 P9210002.JPG

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Exeter had a Jewish population up until 1274 when Edward banished the Jews from England. They returned in 1724 and by 1757 had established a cemetry to the south of the city walls. The cemetry was nearly destroyed in 1970 by a new road but in the end it was left in peace as part of a park. The residents of the new houses to the west of the cemetry probably appreciate their quiet neighbours.

Canon Eos 5D_one 8GB 08 IMG_3487.JPG

Done_rundleCams, Geren and Catriona like this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Exeter Cathedral is famous for it's architecture but the locals know that it also offers the finest free entertainment in the area. On any given day there will be both formal and informal events in the grounds - such as this young lady with her steel drum perched at the feet of Richard Hooker's statue on the green. I'm not sure what Hooker would think of this. As a staunch protestant with distinctly puritan leanings he might not have been too happy about her making music in the cathedral precinct but perhaps he would have been lulled by the gentle melody she was coaxing from the metal.

Canon Eos 5D_one 8GB 08 IMG_3449.JPG

Geren and Catriona like this.
  9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Combs Church. A stones throw from our house and a lovely sight and sound on Christmas Eve. The meadows around the grounds have been walked a few thousand times, in all seasons, by myself and my spaniels. (An oldie)

Combs-Church-LR.jpg

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That is actually called "A Hang" I heard one being played in Bruges this year. Lovely sound.

11. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

A sort of archive one, because it was taken last week so not eligible for consideration.

After a few refreshing beverages at the Flying Horse I usually avail myself of a taxi home. It was dark, but the lighting around on of the fountains in the park opposite the pub was illuminating the first bit of Autumn colour in the trees. I decided to try to get a picture - hand-held at 1/40th using my old 24mm f2.8 'D' series lens, wide open, on my D3.

I thought I'd got away with it until Flickr stepped in and did something odd to the sky on the right and the tops of all the trees! Anyway, 'The Flyer' is one of my places, so here's the picture:

[​IMG]Outside Flying Horse by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

Cheers, Jeff

12. Catriona

This is lovely. A secret place and one I never saw on my visits to and through Exeter.
    Exeter has, unfortunately, bad memories for me.
    The worst being that sinking feeling as I got closer to Mother-in-Law... who retired to Honiton.

13. Catriona

That's very evocative. I can imagine strolling there and imagining the history of the area.

By the way - eligibility DOES NOT exclude old ones! All can be considered.

Kate

14. Catriona

I have asked Benchista to move this, but he can't have looked in yet.

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

171001-Helensburgh-003.jpg

Another day another warship. Helensburgh is the nearest town to HMNB Clyde, home of our nuclear deterrent in the form of Trident armed subs. It is, in effect, a navy town as few people can say they don't know someone who works or has worked at HMNB Clyde either in the Royal Navy or as part of the supporting networks.

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

171001-Helensburgh-004.jpg

Helensburgh pier. It's not in great shape and if the local paper is to be believed it's not in any of the council's plans for the seafront refurbishment due to start next year. Personally I think it should be. Even in this grotty weather it's a place for resolute locals to get some fresh air. As you can see, I'm starting to collect water on the front of my lens at this point.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  17. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

171001-Helensburgh-005.jpg

Weeds and abandoned fencing in what remains of a small children's park next to the pier. In the background, what's left of Codonas 'shows' - or fairground to non locals I suppose. It was reported last week that the council is not renewing Codona's licence to operate on the pier carpark in order to allow the new refurbishments to go ahead. The licence will not be renewed after the refurb either as they are not deemed fitting. This has sparked a furious row among locals. Many people think they have been an absolute eyesore and disgrace for far too long. Others have sympathy for a family business that was only ever granted a 12 month licence at a time, making the incentive to invest in new equipment somewhat meagre. Some of us have childhood memories of the waltzers and the dodgems and feel a certain nostalgia towards them. Others feel that the council should never have let them there in the first place. Facebook groups are quivering with emotion. Me? I'll miss them. They were an eyesore but photographically they provided intersting subject matter. I also went to school with the owner's sister so I feel a little bit defensive when people start shouting about the family. And when everyone else is screeching that the local teenagers are causing trouble in the train station, I wonder why they are surprised when they systematically keep removing anything and everything in the town that might offer them somewhere to go and amuse themselves.

18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

171001-Helensburgh-001.jpg

This is now more or less my front garden. Some days, that's a pleasure and a joy. Other days, probably more than most, it's just very soggy. Doesn't stop me getting out in it though! The monument is to one Henry Bell, steamship pioneer.

19. Catriona

Oh wow Geren. Those are so atmospheric! Thank you for all the details too. I can so identify with a lot of them. When we have military exercises here, we curse, but some people take out flasks of coffee to the poor wee soldiers hiding on the crofts. The ships can sometimes be seen on The Minch - and as for the aircraft? Biggest cursing of all, when our broadband and phone signals get jammed.

20. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Been there done that. But I had death watch beetle as well!