1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oban Scotland

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by IvorCamera, Sep 1, 2017.

1. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I know its a bit far for some but its well worth a visit, better still in winter if the suns out.........
    From Oban Scotland.JPG

2. Lovely place, and not too far from Glencoe.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I went to Oban around 40 years ago when we were visiting Fort William. Sadly all I remember is, that 5 people in a Hillman Minx is a long trip from Sheffield!

Scotland is one of those countries that I keep promising to visit again. Sadly my other visits to Scotland have only been to Edinburgh and that is only twice.

Geren likes this.
  4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I've been all over Scotland, twice, even over to Skye, twice, but on a Honda Fireblade, and no camera with me! I don't recall it looking anything special, just a load of Tarmac whizzing by :eek:

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

And rain and mist and or a million mozzies splattered over your visor?:)

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Haven't been since the *istD came out.

There was a cracking Indian, best I've come across. The one in Tobermory, however...

Oh, and some great scenery.

S

7. Craig20264

Tearoffs sorted the mozzies, pulling them off at a fast rate of knots too! We were very lucky with the weather too. Only rain we saw was on the first trip up, and that was as we went through Glasgow. After that it was proper biking weather. I don't know what they use in the road surface up North, but it shreds tyres! Granite or summat I guess.

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I also like Oban. I know a bloke who runs a very nice B&B in town. The drive from where I live to Oban is rather lovely - very scenic indeed, but annoyingly there aren't very many places to stop and take photographs unless you hold up all the other traffic. The trip can be a joy. Unless there's a tractor.

Zou likes this.
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Obvious solution, go by bike. ;)

Geren likes this.
  10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes. My knees are totally up for a 70-odd mile bike ride.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Get a tandem and do a lazy shift at the back...

Geren likes this.
  12. Craig20264

Spluttered my coffee out then until I re-read it :eek:

Zou and Geren like this.
  13. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Just checked my picture of Oban out on here and realised that it was done on a monitor that had not yet been calibrated, it is indeed a bit dull, sorry about that, its an age thing........I only had a bridge camera with me and yes it was winter and it was about 15 below the camera would only let me take a few pictures at a time, before it froze! but I got enough to keep me happy.....most of the time was spent in the bar sampling the local spirits.....

14. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Arguably, from a photographic point of view, the best thing about Oban is the ferry to Mull and the boats to the smaller isles. Try Lunga in June for seabirds.

15. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

There's a little place called Port Appin, near Oban. You'll find this - Castle Stalker. If you're on a bike you won't have any parking problems.
    Photographed July 1989 with a Soviet Zenit E SLR and 135mm lens. The film was Fujichrome RD 100.

Castle Stalkerap.jpg