1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NYC Taxi Driver & Photographer

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by andrebogaert, Dec 18, 2013.

1. andrebogaert

andrebogaert Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Posting from memory but I think his book is 'Drive by Shootings'. Will try & dig it out: one of the best Christmas book gifts I received in last ten years. :) Highly recommended.

Except for driving with one hand while photographing (out of side window :eek: with the other hand holding camera) ... he wouldn't survive if he wasn't in a big yellow cab ... or in London!

3. andrebogaert

I think maybe he has followers/relatives in London...Have you seen how some of the Black Cab Taxis guys drive..... The book sounds interesting....

4. andrebogaert

Update: Just found this link to a website that shows some of the photos in the book. http://drivebyshootings.com/
    I couldn't get the videos to work but photos are there.
    I also found the book on Amazon.co.uk. Used copies from around £5.00.

5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Yah thats a great photography clip! but he would have no chance here in the uk, people get done over here for picking their noses while driving.......

6. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten all about him, I bought his book maybe 10 or 12 years ago when it was remaindered,
    can't find it at the moment -after a bookcase collapse a few years ago everything's been sitting
    around in piles. Seem to remember though that he used a small Yashica T4, or several, he took so
    many photos that they soon wore out! I believe he'd dropped the film off for D&P and call back later
    to collect, all part of his working day. Wonder if he's still driving. Gone digital?

Alan.

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Am sympathetic to your book plight. In my case, bookcases full, remaining solid (just), more books inherited & bought, indecision over what should go where & when & how! :rolleyes::eek:

I think he turned pro. That was his goal. He used to carry his book (portfolio) in the front of the cab. Whenever he picked up someone going to/from an ad agency he would ask if they were an AD and if so, would be offered a look. :)