1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nottingham Carnival

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Aug 17, 2019.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

So it's the 2019 Nottingham Carnival on Sunday. Hoping to get down there and get some shots, hoping it stays dry, hoping my confidence is at the right level to get in amongst the parade rather than stand on the side of the road.

2017 was great, got some of what I consider to be my best shots ever on that day.

[​IMG]Orange! by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Will let you know how I get on.

2. EightBitTony

Well, I spent 90 minutes stuck inside my own head, but once I managed to crawl out of that I got some engaging shots. Technically, they don't stand up to scrutiny, focus, noisy, movement blur, but they're the shots I was looking for (eye contact, close up), so in that regard I'm happy. Haven't processed many yet, here's the few I've done.

[​IMG]Nottingham Carnival 2019 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Light was all over the place, bright sun, then overcast, windy, dappled lighting, lots of trees. The 7d2 really doesn't look great at anything over 800 ISO, and even 400 to 800 you can see the loss of detail. Maybe I should bring forward my 'buy a second hand 5d mk3' plan.

3. Aspadora

Aspadora Well-Known Member

I really like these!

When you go to events like this, what lens do you use? I'm due to be attending a parade soon and I haven't a clue which lens would be best. I own an 18-55mm and a 70-300mm, ideally I would want something in the middle!!

What do you find you use most?

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I find that a so-called super-zoom like Tamron's 16-300mm comes into its own for this sort of thing...

Sony A65 8GB UnNumbered DSC00357.JPG

Sony A65 8GB UnNumbered DSC00360.JPG

Sony A65 8GB UnNumbered DSC00361.JPG

5. Aspadora

See that's the kind of range I like haha. They look like they're good quality as well, which I believe I shouldn't expect too much from a 'super-zoom' lens... It's a bit out of my price range unfortunately. I've just came across the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 for Nikon, which has decent reviews but they note a bit of a decrease in quality...

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

These are great Tony!

Cheers, Jeff

EightBitTony likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I used a Sigma 28-300 on a full frame Canon 5D for a while. It cost me all of £70 second hand and proved to be much better than some reviews suggested...

Canon Eos 5D 5758.JPG

Canon Eos 5D_one 8GB 08 IMG_3552.JPG

Canon Eos 5D_one 8GB 08 IMG_3323.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  8. Aspadora

Sorry Tony, I seem to have hi-jacked your post a little bit. I will move over to the Equipment & Advice section. I don't want to detract from the great photos!

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

It was no problem :) I'll head over to the other thread.

10. EightBitTony

11. EightBitTony

Thanks Jeff.

12. EightBitTony

El_Sid and RovingMike like this.