1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not wanted at restaurant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

If they were turned away because of their race, then that's unacceptable.

That said, I'd love to know what their "white accent" sounded like!

Cheers, Jeff
  3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I read yesterday about a Sikh man who was ejected from a nightclub because they had a 'no headgear' rule and objected to his turban.
  4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

That's not surprising, as the Sikhs successfully challenged the road transport safety rule that motor cyclists should wear protective headgear. If they choose not to take advantage of protective equipment, that's their affair, but what's the Sikh attitude to headgear required as PPE? (i.e. where the site owner/manager has a Duty of Care to employees and visitors under HSE legislation)
  5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

RP? AKA "BBC English" from decades ago.
  6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Well, they did say "reservations only" and then said they could have a table when they reserved by telephone... I couldn't have resisted going back myself, just to see what happened.

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

8. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

In the case mentioned perhaps yes, but perhaps no because there are too many variables at work in this particular instance to tell. But, living in a small market town that had the second highest percentage leave vote, I can honestly say that racist attitudes are certainly on the increase. I've seen it and heard it since the Vote and it's getting worse, some of it is pretty blatant too.
    Roger Hicks likes this.
  9. Mark101

Jolly good show old chap .
  10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I remember many years ago I was in Wales on a charity event. We were in a pub and there was a young black bloke who was quite clearly being ignored at the bar. He wasn't with our party but was also involved on the event. In our group, however was a mate who was also black. He was around 6'6" and very well built. He walked up to the bar and their attitude changed completely. They both got served after he had a little word!
    Trannifan, Catriona and Roger Hicks like this.
  11. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Well you can bet it wasn't a Glasgow accent because they had their reservation accepted !
    Zou and Mark101 like this.
  12. Mark101

My Wife lived in North Wales for a couple of years and faced terrible verbal abuse as an obviously English woman.
  13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My daughter lived in 'Welsh' Wales and never experienced any hostility.
  14. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Not had a problem in fifty years. In a very Welsh part. Just accept that English is a second language in large parts of Wales still and people will accept you. Even though it can be annoying when you are trying to learn the language and everyone changes to English to be polite.

Zou likes this.
  15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

That's my experience. People would break off conversations in Welsh to include us. Maybe the fact I had a rural accent made a difference, but I doubt it. The only anti-English sentiment I encountered has been in Scotland, Stirling to be precise, where a pub/restaurant manager ignored us, but the locals we spent the afternoon drinking with soon put him straight.
    Zou likes this.
  16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My brother once had problems with his accent, but I attribute that to his attitude rather than nationality. ;) I've had no bother, although it always gets tiring explaining to people during the 6 nations that my team don't play, so no need for the 'us' and 'you' which are incorrectly assumed.
  17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

It can happen anywhere if your face does not fit. Treat the locals with respect and they will respect you. We love Wales and have had very few problems but some people are just unfriendly wherever you may be.

The incident in the restaurant is a very poor show and I hope the member of staff is disciplined accordingly.
  18. Mark101

She was only there two years and it was a long time ago when she was married to a policeman who had a violent streak.
  19. miked

miked Well-Known Member

If I had a restaurant I would not turn any person away because of their race. On the other hand I would love to ban anyone who prefaces every sentence with, "So".
    willie45 and dream_police like this.
  20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I really do detest that too. Add to that if anyone said " Can I get ...... " when ordering, then they should be thrown out.