1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not something you see every day...

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by SXH, Oct 5, 2017.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

a solar powered street lamp.
    SPSLa.jpg
    Though a quick Google seems to indicate it is a commercial thing - uses LEDs to run on lower power, not sure where the battery is.
    And they (there were two or three) were on an industrial estate, not the actual street.
    And could, I suppose, be a test installation...

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Interesting there appears to be no photocell (unless it's hiding behind the PVA). Dodgy bit of unsupported wiring there too! Wouldn't put my name to that job!

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Possibly all controlled from a single photocell on a nearby roof? Or one of the (much higher) lamp-posts a few yards away on the actual street? Or even a timer?

4. Craig20264

Switching, however it is done, would have to be between the power source and the lamp though, so unlikely to be remote.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Bluetooth? ;)

Actually, I think most of the street lights round here are on timers, so most likely that.

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Did you used to be a plumber/builder?!

7. Craig20264

I am still an electrician by trade, although not really practising anymore. I've turned my attention to fire alarm systems. I have known Builders who will have a go at wiring though :rolleyes: Used to get regular calls to go and put it right!

Bazarchie likes this.
  8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Having just had my kitchen re done together with some building work, there was quite clear evidence of the last builder having had a go at his own wiring. I am surprised the house hadn't burned down.One of the plug sockets in the kitchen, connected to a metal American Style fridge/freezer, wasn't even earthed. Certainly explained the ever so slight tingling/staticy feeling when touching certain parts of the fridge! Many £'s later and all fixed.

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Lots of street furniture gizmos are powered by solar nowadays, pollution monitors, streetlights etc.

10. Craig20264

He should be jailed for putting a circuit in with no earth path back. That earth connection will save your life. It makes me so angry that this still goes on.

11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'm too scared to ask someone to review our wiring, can't afford to get it replaced, but the previous owner of our house was clearly happy to have a go at a lot of stuff himself, never mind the builder. I know it needs doing, but the cost ... argh (and it's always the tip of the iceberg, re-do kitchen wiring? yes, but you'll have to replace the floor, the cupboards, re-plaster and buy a new cooker).

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

No idea who had done that. Only when the electrician came to sort out the other stuff did he find thst when replacing the fascias for us. There was an earth wire connected to the socket but the other end wasn't connected to an earth. He only found it when testing the circuit once he had connected back up to a new socket and used his testing machine thingy.

13. Craig20264

Not good. Should a live wire come up against a metal appliance casing, (toaster, washing machine etc)the earth wire provides a path for the electricity to flow in order to trip the MCB/blow the fuse. If the electricity has nowhere to flow to, it sits there quite happily until you touch the casing, then hey presto, you become the new earth wire!!

14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Is there a quick reliable way to test the wiring in a house?

15. Craig20264

If you have the right equipment, and knowledge. Yes.

16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

But perfect for having a dump...:D

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Why not use the output, or lack of, from the solar panels to control the lamp?

19. Craig20264

Well yes, but you still need a means of switching the lamp on/off at the required times, whether that be a timer, (pointless really as it would need constant adjustment), or a photocell. A bit hit and miss to use the fluctuating output of the panels. I suppose it's possible with the right circuitry and components, but more costly than a photocell I would think.