1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not long left to enter APOY Round 8: Shooting skies!

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Gemma_Padley, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Gemma_Padley

Gemma_Padley AP freelance

There is just over a week to go until the closing date for our current APOY round, Round 8: Shooting skies.

For information about how to enter to be in with a chance of winning thousands of pounds worth of fantastic Canon camera gear, click on the link: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u..._of_the_Year_2011_apoycompetition_305128.html

We're looking for images that are original, technically proficient and that follow the brief. This month's theme is 'skies' - night skies, dawn skies, moody skies, calm skies, clear skies - any kind of sky you can think of!
    For info on this month's brief, visit http://amateurphotographer.co.uk/ap...t__Shooting_Skies_apoycompetition_309281.html

We look forward to seeing your images!
    The AP APOY team

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Argh!

Forgot about this... too busy with college today and tomorrow so will have to sort it out on Saturday.

Thanks for the reminder :)

3. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Yes, I must get my A in G.
    Just one question for this round, is there any limit to the entry......;)

...sorry.......

4. Clodhopper

Clodhopper Well-Known Member

Very tempted to enter this round... Not much in this part of the world, but always plenty of sky!

5. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Done it - not sure it's good enough to be shortlisted but I've given it a go - got to be in it to win it........ or something..!
    ;)

6. JackHood

JackHood Well-Known Member

I nearly didn't enter this month as I couldn't take a photo which I felt was good enough for the competition. I have entered, even though I know my entry has no chance of being shortlisted. But as you say, you've got to be in it to win it! :)

7. soutomar

soutomar Member

I just sent my picture last night, but this time I did not receive the usual automatic confirmation email. Has the system been changed? I tried to contact AP about this directly, but so far I have not had a reply. Since the deadline is today, I wonder if anyone in the forum had any suggestions about what to do?

8. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Hi soutomar and welcome :)

no the system hasn't been changed however I do know that an email system upgrade (IMHO upgrade = problem usually) has taken place today.

I would advise sending a PM to Gemma. I would not expect a reply until Monday. I presume that the receipt system has thrown a cog, Gemma will be able to confirm that your entry has arrived :)

9. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

I got a message to say they'd got mine and to tell me not to panic if I got a 'deleted' message as the entries are automatically uploaded to a comp folder on AP's supercomputer!
    Hopefully just gremlins in the reply, not the entry!

10. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Indeed :) And yes when entries are received there is a script which should move them from the inbox to another server/hard drive and then issue the receipt.

My advice in the event of a suspected problem, as always, is to contact the AP office directly (note due to annual leave etc there have been gaps in coverage recently) or send a PM to the person concerned :)

11. Changing9

Changing9 Member

Tried several times testerday and today to send entry to Black & White Round but, every time, got an "Undeliverable" reply stating that :

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

apoy@ipcmedia.com
    The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending this message later, or contact the recipient directly.

12. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

On behalf of AP my apologies. I can only assume that, as I suggested earlier, the email upgrade has caused the receipt script to throw a cog.

The reply you have received would indicate that script intended to clear the mailbox and send a received receipt is not performing correctly. I would suggest waiting until around midday tomorrow before trying again :)

13. visualbinam

visualbinam New Member

i tried a few times today to send my entry for the round 9 and i got the full mailbox message.

14. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

As Mark said there is a script set up which moves the APOY entries from the inbox to another server/hard drive and then issues the receipt. Due to an upgrade with our email system the script isn't working properly and the mailbox fills up very quickly due to competition popularity. IT are working on this as a matter of urgency and in the meantime please accept my apologies to all those concerned.

I have moved all the emails received up until 6pm on Friday and the odd few that have got through this afternoon. I will let you know when the problem has been resolved.

Chrissie

15. G3few

G3few Active Member

I have entered this round and all others this year but always by post.
    I assume that postal entries are treated in the same way as email with regards to judging etc.?

G3FEW

16. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Yes (except - and I have to say it before anyone queries it - they are not scanned and viewed on screen)

17. G3few

G3few Active Member

Thanks Mark
    I had assumed they would be compaired fairly. Just a slight doubt as it seemed most were sent in by email.

Regards
    G3FEW