1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not About Much For a good Few weeks from now

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, May 4, 2016.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No such thing as surely. But keep going.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I am spitting nails here!

The interview today they said there was a test and if you didn't pass the test no interview but the whole thing should take 2 hours so I take a day off for which I will not get paid (And the last few weeks what with being told to take unpaid leave, not being paid for bank holidays nor for having time off sick last weekend I am considering bankruptcy- not even joking here)

I get ready this takes me about an hour- all new clothes (the sales have been good to me) and if I say so myself I look pretty smart.

arrive in plenty of time and sit down in the end there are 5 of us and we are trooped into a clinic room where we are all handed a sheet of paper and told "This is the test, it lasts 5 minutes, there are 3 questions if you fail the test then you will not be interviewed. Each question is worth 5 points and you need to score higher than 10"

So I get down to it, 2 questions were easy, 1 was a sod but I worked it out

They collect our papers and whilst we are waiting we get talking, 3 people didn't even find the 3rd question because they never thought to turn the paper over. One of those it turns out already works in a similar department and is line managed by the guy who is in charge of the interviews but she only answered 2 questions so even if they were completely right she's only scored 10 and they wanted higher than 10

They come back in, she gets taken off for her interview - and for the rest of us it's "Sorry you failed- thanks for coming"

One of the other ladies asks if she can have her paper back so she can study where she went wrong- guy looks a bit surprised but hands them over and runs for it.

Outside I look at mine. I scored 5 out of 5 on every question but they wrote on the paper than my final mark was 10 i.e. I failed

Now I know in the NHS it often happens that a candidate who already works there is going to get it but this is just so blatant!!!!

Then of course I have the "joy" of having to walk back through the Stepney Green entrance to get back to the main road- the last time I went into that building I'd just told Dave's mum and brother he'd just passed away. It stirred enough sad memories what with the job interview being such a disaster I admit I burst into tears and had to lock myself in the loo for 10 minutes before I got under control again

It was still only just after 11 so I must have been in the so-called interview for 20 minutes tops and it's cost me nearly £60 after tax at a time when as I say I am getting desperate (cashed the last of my savings in- final throw of the dice etc.)

For a finale I retreated to the "Bells" only to find it opened late because someone overslept so I sat outside in the bloody cold for nearly half an hour

Just have to keep going- the interview I was supposed to have this afternoon is now 11 on the 22nd and I have another interview on the 24th at 9.15

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Written complaint to the Chief Exec. detailing everything. Hint you are considering taking legal advice.

S

Done_rundleCams and peterba like this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

What Steve said plus include a photocopy of the paper. If you don't get redress go straight to your MP.

5. LesleySM

And get marked as a trouble maker by a major local Trust?

Unfortunately it goes on all the time- Trust has a temp in post, job becomes permanent, temp is asked if they'd consider a permanent post, temp says yes and their application is a formality.

Many years ago I was the temp in post when it became permanent my interview was as follows:

"What will you do if you get this job?"
    "Buy you all a drink in the "Raven" after work"
    "Correct you're in"

And I have nothing against this - Department has someone who they know can do the job and fits in well, temp is happy to take a permanent post. There's none of this time wasting on both sides

But HR have to justify their existence so the job has to go out to advert, managers have to meet to draw up a shortlist, candidates have to take time off work and get their hopes up then jump through pointless hoops so HR can tick their boxes

I have either applied or known someone who applied for loads of jobs and I only know one case where the temp already in the post didn't get it

6. LesleySM

Same Trust another interview on the 24th and an interview in Harley Street on the 22nd no-one can say I am not trying

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I feel for you Lesley, especially as I"m currently in the same boat. I'm currently working part time but my 'salary' isn't even covering half of our living expenses even with a lot of drastic cutbacks. Our savings are at a level now where in a very short few weeks we won't be able to pay the bills. I'm desperately looking for more work but between the work commitments I already have making it difficult to offer 'full flexibility' to a new employer, and people basically going through the motions of advertising a job where they know they already have their candidate...it's not at all easy. Currently working on the self-employed angle to see if I can make more of that but of course I no longer have a studio at home to work from. I'm trying to keep positive and yesterday had a really interesting meeting with another photographer to discuss possible business ideas but I don't know how it's going to pan out and the insecurity is proving very stressful. I will keep everything crossed for you and me!!!!!!

LesleySM likes this.
  8. LesleySM

I just do not believe the conversation I just had!
    Every so often I replace the cat litter trays- I buy the cheap ones from "Wilkinson's" and they eventually get so scratched on the bottom where I use the scoop that I bin them.
    So I am hauling the old tray out as there is a rubbish collection in the morning and as I get to the front door I see the son who lives downstairs coming up the steps- I have known this guy since he was in nappies- he's about 20 now.
    So I let him in and explain I am just going to latch the front door whilst I take this bag out and he insists he'll carry it for me- I say thanks then have to point out he's dumped it where the recycling goes and it needs to go over the other side. He moves it but manages to rip the bag then plonks it in the right place only now it's bloody obvious it's a used litter tray and my bin men sometimes won't pick it up even in a sealed bag..
    He swears he had a friend who works on the bins and he'll let them know to sort it out.
    And then he asks why I am doing this on my own....Um...I live on my own apart from the cats and as far as they are concerned they make the mess and I clean it up
    So he says "You need a man in your life what happened to the last one?"
    I reply with considerable iciness "He died"
    He replies "Apart from him I have seen you have had men stay overnight and that man who comes round on Sundays. Many men"
    I point out they are just friends and the bugger hit on me suggesting if I needed a "friend" he's always available should I want someone to "Talk to" that delivered a laviscious wink that means "talk to" really means "Shagging"
    I beat a hasty retreat

9. LesleySM

And job hunting just got even weirder

The job I went to a couple weeks back (The one where I lost my slip) has been re-advertised and it did not say "Previous candidates need not reapply" so I reapplied for all I know after they told me I just lost out to someone with more relevant experience that person may have then turned them down

And here's the weird one I sometimes apply for jobs that I can do but don;t have the relevant experience and yesterday I applied for a company secretary job with an accountancy company., They want someone who can do diary management, work out travel arrangements , organise meetings, take minutes etc all of which I can do

I now have an interview with them on Monday at 3.30 a friend said "No way! You've applied for a job where you have no experience in the field" and got an interview! That is crazy"

At the time I just for 3 emails from jobs I am well qualified for all saying I hadn't been even shortlisted for an interview....

Maybe crazy is the way to go

10. LesleySM

I have everything crossed for me and a couple of friends who are also job hunting and now you... as the joke goes I will need to surgically uncrossed once we all get sorted out

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  11. LesleySM

And I have to love auto-correct I was online chatting to a friend via my phone and mentioned as I recall the company secretaries job I seemed to think offers what amounts to a hugely obscene salary so I typed in "hugely obscene" and the suggestion the hone came up with for the next word was "German"

Done_rundleCams and spinno like this.
  12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Time, me thinks, Lesley, for a taser-lite

Cheers,

Jack

dream_police likes this.
  13. LesleySM

Or nastier still tell his mum. She's very proud they've managed to arrange a good match for him with a girl from back home

Roger Hicks and Done_rundleCams like this.
  14. Done_rundleCams

Along with that ;)

cheers,

Jack

15. steveandthedogs

Didn't know you had a vicious streak!

S

16. Done_rundleCams

Me or Lesley?

;)

Jack

17. steveandthedogs

Lesley, of course!

We know you are a gentle soul, Jack.

S

18. LesleySM

Well today was a waste of my time. The first interview started with the doctor saying looking at my CV she didn't think I had the right experience or skills

I almost said "Why the f**k did you offer me an interview then?"

The second one I told the agency I wasn't going as it was at 2 and there was no way I could get from Romford to Finsbury Park in an hour for the next one. They got back to me and said they'd talked to the manager and just to head there (this was about 12.30) and she'd see me when I arrived. So I got there at 1.20 and no one on reception knew who to call but they tracked her down and called her but got a voicemail but when they talked to the switchboard it turned out the number reception had was an old number.

By this time I am going spare and the agency are saying they'll try to contact her and to sit tight.

She finally shows up after 2 and when I explain the agency told me to head down as she'd see me before then turns out she said no such thing and she gave the agency her number last week at least she once worked for them and as she says they'll tell you anything to get their commission

The office is a clear 10 minutes from the main reception

I get introduced to everyone then thrown straight into a typing test, which given how stressed I was feeling about getting to the other interview, not being given time to warm up and a faulty footswitch didn't go well

She'll let the agency know but I strongly suspect she'll be letting them know they wasted her time

By the time I got out of there I was so desperate to get to the next interview I even asked the local cab company how long it would take to get to Finsbury Park from Romford but they reckoned well over an hour so I would be late for that interview. I sent them an email claiming I couldn't make it as I had a cold and gave up. They have since replied they'll talk to the boss and try and fit me in again

For a finale (there is a theme emerging here) in front of a bunch of pissed lads my knickers fell down as I said to one of them "This is a shitty end to a shitty day"

The sort of day when I got in the "Bells" I picked up a registered letter I'd arranged redelivery of to there and was relieved it was "only" about disposing of Dave's ashes

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

How the hell can your knickers just fall down??

I am getting quite a good mental image of you Lesley.

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Many of our younger subscribers need a bit of education...
    During the Second World War the Daily Mirror had a strip cartoon called Jane. Apparently the nearer to "winning the war" the more of her clothes would fall off.
    Obviously Lesley is following in her footsteps, either that or she's Cupid Stunt ( all in the best possible taste)
    ;)