1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not About Much For a good Few weeks from now

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, May 4, 2016.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Finally my council tax people have surrendered and given me the single occupier discount. This means I don't owe them anything more for this year but they have now sent me a bill from last year for £703. Still that's the end of the matter (I hope)

Never heard back from that job last Tuesday so I don't think I got it but am waiting on the date/time for another interview and this one is easy to get to and the best money if I get it I will have ever earned, enough to live comfortably on and maybe even save a little

Landlord wants to put rent up by 10% though so I have to appeal against that decision

2. LesleySM

And now I've had another interview for a very nice job- doesn't pay as well as the other one but pretty much what I was getting at my last job and as come mid November I qualify for free travel that's more than covered. Still waiting on this interview for the well paid job but if this one comes through then it will do nicely

I know the manager who interviewed me liked me and the following phone interview seemed to go well and I should know in the morning

Ironically it's for the company that does the work from home I was looking at but based at head office managing the people who work from home if I get it (or indeed if don't) I am still considering working some weekends and the odd evening from home

3. LesleySM

I didn't get it :-( so just have to keep trying

4. LesleySM

And now...just when I thought things were getting better

My landlord applied to put my rent up 10% I appealed on the grounds it was well over the rate of inflation and they had made no major improvements to the property indeed I am waiting on a number of repairs I ave reported.

The fair rent people replied by putting my rent up 15%!

I have appealed again

On the job front I have yet another interview and a couple more possibles

5. LesleySM

Council tax all paid

I had a nice surprise this morning- when I got into work they'd put up a banner wishing me a happy 60th and there were cards and presents.

Alas my birthday is the 19th of November but it's the thought that counts

6. LesleySM

And now

Just when the "excitement" of the past year and a half seems to be over. Okay this job isn't quite what I want in terms of hours etc but it's settled and the people are lovely....The Trust announced they will be closing the outpatient service at the site this will mean they will only need me for 2 days a week and unless someone else in the Trust needs someone for 3 days a week will leave me with no option but to leave as 2 days work just isn't financially viable.

Still it won't be until early next year and I have interviews lined up.

I am trying to get out anyway because the actual manager keeps messing with my hours. This week I got paid for 3 days when even the payroll people can see it should have been 5 and as of late yesterday she hadn't finalised my hours since the previous week and if she didn't do them last night then I don't get paid next week- this is the third time she's done this in 9 weeks. She thinks it's funny when it happens I don't especially at the moment when I am waiting for a funds transfer to be sorted out so don't actually have a lot of money spare. As I explained to one of the nurses here a week Saturday is my birthday party and if she doesn't get this sorted so I get paid next week I may have to miss it

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Is she aware she may be committing a criminal offence- not supplying you with a correct statement of pay....
    OK so she is only responsible for signing off your hours but her intentional actions are causing a problem, and then of course if HMRC were to get involved ....

8. LesleySM

I told her yesterday in no uncertain terms that it had to be done before close of business or it would miss the payroll run...

She did it this morning but luckily the payroll run was done late so it went through and I will get paid next week.

I have an interview next Friday with an agency for a slightly paid better temp post with longer hours;At least I have never been much messed around by agencies when it comes to getting paid.

Also have two interviews for permanent band 5 posts coming up and the one next Thursday is as the office manager in my all time favourite speciality (Histopathology if you're interested) and it's Whitechapel so a short bus ride for me

steveandthedogs likes this.
  9. LesleySM

Well no luck on the job front- I didn't get the histopathology job but it wasn't just me they put it back out to advert

And I was supposed to go to one this morning but the tubes were rotten and when I tried to get a cab they didn't have any because of the school run

Also had to turn a couple of interviews down as I couldn't get the time off. I am now resigned to nothing much happening until the New Year

But what is interesting is that even though I have been honest on my application form I am now getting interview offers mostly from the NHS, it seems the further I get away from that business the less important it appears to be

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

That's a bummer about the interview.

And being stuffed by TfL is getting to be more and more par-for-the-course, my branch of the 'dilly line is *always* getting stuffed.

Hoping the New Year sees things improving for you.

11. LesleySM

My theory is the whole network is bugged and somewhere there is a vast listening centre "Wait Lesley's got an interview?! Cancel the next 5 trains on that's section of the line!" "DaveS is running late for his appointment? Signal failure on a count of 3, 1..2..3"

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Well it has been said with some truth that just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get you... ;)

LesleySM and Roger Hicks like this.
  13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I'd add an er in there somewhere.

14. LesleySM

I don't know if it counts as much of an achievement but I just put a Xmas tree up. Dave didn't "do" Xmas and I don't really- honest! But I thought this year it would be nice to do something so the tree went up (Okay when I say "tree" it looks more like a deformed shrub with tinsel, baubles and a fairy on top). Presents are all done (I did what I did last year- organic fudge- the lady who sells it handles wrapping and posting it, I just tell her what I want, she sends me an invoice and I pay it via PayPal- takes me 5 minutes and I don't have to traipse around the shops- unless my need is urgent and can't be sorted online or locally I avoid shopping centres from the first week of December until mid January)- just need to write my cards this week- think I'll take them into work and do them in my lunchbreaks

15. LesleySM

Oh and I have mead for Xmas, a bottle in case of guests (I already have one friend who seems to be only lured by the mead coming over) a bottle of it for the host of a NYE party he has invited me to and a bottle of the very special good stuff with my name on it- my Xmas present to me

16. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I picked up 2 bottles of mead on Friday, along with a bottle of elderflower and a flagon of scrumpy. Used some mead in a trifle instead of sherry, wonder if anybody will notice the difference?

LesleySM likes this.
  17. LesleySM

Possibly after they get drunk on the trifle?

Weird thing is I don't like honey but mead and honey roasted parsnips I adore

18. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Only time I've made mead was to make metheglin with rosemary. Tasted like the old-fashioned pink Germolene. Drank it, though.

S

19. LesleySM

What worries me is the confident assertion here- how do you know what old fashioned pink Germolene tasted like?

20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That has me puzzled too. I think we should be told! ;)