1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not About Much For a good Few weeks from now

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, May 4, 2016.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Apparently at very least I should have a contract detailing everything and signed to show I understand and accept all the charges but I have been railroaded into it by the agency

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Thanks for that. This does not have much to do with me directly but it does concern me that people providing much appreciated services are being badly treated and agencies and even worse PR companies are milking money intended for the NHS. Why does the NHS not increase the numbers of people in is staff bank.

3. Learning

I can see that my comment came across badly. I did not mean it nastily but just that it had gone on for a long time and has covered topics that could, even should, have stood alone. I apologise for causing offence. I had better lend you my post holer.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Not that easy - not all staff in post want to join the bank and not every nurse not employed by the NHS wants to rely on work which may or may not turn up - especially as it is often a case of "It's 1700, can you be here for a night shift at 2000?".
    It costs somewhere around £130pa to maintain nursing qualifications with the NMC, if you don't pay, you lose your ticket and are no longer counted as qualified, so you have to earn that £130 before you start earning. On top of that, there is a shortage of staff anyway, and it will get worse now that the bursaries have been removed and student nurses have to get a student loan, which will leave them with massive debts as soon as they start working, and so the numbers will fall even further, and again when Brexit really kicks in.
    Bear in mind I'm only talking about nursing staff; there are also medics, physio's, X-ray and other technicians, cleaners, catering staff..... When any one of these goes sick, they need to be replaced at very short notice. The NHS isn't like a lot of other industries - staff must be available at all times.

S

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. LesleySM

Today is now officially weird in a nice way

Home-letter from my energy supplier saying after all this they want to put my monthly payment up a tenner- as I am talking to them tomorrow I can sort that out

And the dreaded brown HMRC envelope something called a P800- never had one before. Turns out I am due a rebate- thought given almost 3 months when I was neither working or claiming maybe just maybe there might be a hundred or so coming my way..Read it and got off the floor- because as far as I can work out HMRC based their sums on the assumption I'd be working at the same rate all year

Let;'s just say with the refund from my power supplier I was thinking if I can could get a secondhand 50mm f1.8 to replace the one I lost...Now if my bid is not accepted on that I may go for f1.4

Although I am supposed to be able to claim it online but their system is down

GeoffR and steveandthedogs like this.
  6. Learning

Put your rebate in savings. The chances are that the buggers will want it back with more interest that you could have earned in the mean time. I don't know that, I am just guessng that the system is more in the favour of the rich rather than those working to just support themselves.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  7. LesleySM

And since I am certainly in that category I cannot just put it aside-with this umbrella company business I am still subsidizing my wages from my savings a bit. It just means if I get this contract extended I may look into painting the flat

8. LesleySM

As a result of changing my energy suppliers last year I got a final bill and was rather narked when a year later EDF said they would now send me another final bill!

They just did- just short of £500 that they owe me! Just need to get the cheque out of them (Girding my loins even as I type this)

I suppose what has happened is I knew last year I was overpaying on electric/gas etc but what with losing Dave, worries about the flat and the work situation as I had the money it was one less thing to worry about so I just paid them and now things are settling down the money is coming due and at a time when I could do with it

steveandthedogs likes this.
  9. LesleySM

And now...My manager popped in (she covers 4-5 sites and based at another site where she prefers to stay)

She’s really nice and we were just chatting so I asked her about the claim the agency are making that the Trust insists they pay agency staff through an umbrella company. Turns out to be as expected a load of b***ocks- the Trust have no such policy but they cannot control how agencies pay staff.

So she asked me what was the difference and was pretty shocked when I told her, she said I need to get on the bank. And she’ll be more than happy to give me a reference as apparently everyone there thinks I am really good and like me a lot and she is so impressed that after the last secretary was a disaster and left a huge backlog of work I have sorted out and am now putting work out at well below target (now I have cleared the backlog it’s a doddle)

Bank plays less an hour but if I shed the umbrella company fees I will still be better off and have paid annual/sick leave plus some relative job security (at the moment she tells me if a bank staffer became available when my contract ends they’d have to let me go through no fault of my own) plus if this job finishes (and she implied it could be at least another years’ work maybe more) the bank will try and find me something else and if I am bank I will be allowed overtime

So this is perfect for me a relatively secure job, overtime and paid leave

But how do I approach the fact their HR will ask the HR from my old job and we all know what happened the last time?

Roger Hicks and steveandthedogs like this.
  10. LesleySM

Got the EDF cheque surprisingly fast but they now tell me it was for the electric but I owed them £270 for gas so they took that off my refund and sent me £224

I am so well shot of them!!!!

11. LesleySM

Well I have the forms for the bank staff- I have to mention my last 2 jobs but they only ask for 2 references. I am still left wondering whether I should come clean about what happened or hope that as that is now not my last job but the one before they don't bother asking them after all it's over a year ago

12. LesleySM

In a rare moment of common sense I decided an f 1.8 was fine for what I needed and could not justify the difference in price between the two

Snagged a used 50mm f1.8 from eBay for £45 + postage-hardly been used being sold on because the previous owner brought it but doesn't do much street or portrait work and wants to buy something else.

Got it today and its near mint as far as I can see- no marks on it came with lens and end cap and box. Glass is clear no mould or scratching on the elements. First few test shots are fine

steveandthedogs and John Farrell like this.
  13. LesleySM

Finally I got my council tax bill. Not as bad as expected so as I have the money (my tax rebate arrived today as well) I have paid until March- it isn't as much as I saved up for it so that's nice.

Not sure what happens if I end up on the dole between now and March but guess I will get some back. Next year I'll switch to monthly payments but as I have the cash right now it's paid and to be honest I am happy it's out the way since it's taken them an age to sort out and I was worried about getting a huge bill at some point

On the bank front I have decided to put my reason for leaving Mary's as "bereavement" I don;t know the new Trust will even ask them as they are no longer my last employer. And if they do and come back to me and say "You were sacked" then I can say "Yes because of my bereavement"

Diane at work reckons as their big target is to reduce agency staff by getting them to join the bank and I have been there for 9 weeks' and Joanne will give me a good reference I should be okay

I have to do it- most of my doctors are off in August so Joanne has a problem with not being able to justify paying me for 5 days she is looking into finding work from her other clinics for me but if I am bank I should be able to pick extra work from that if not then I am going to have a lazy month but I really can't afford it although if I am on bank and can pick up some work from there.. also if I get the bank post then I get paid leave, which means I can take time off to get the flat painted since at the moment it'll be to expensive to have to take a week off to get it done on top of the cost of hiring painters to do the deed

So onwards and upwards,,,,

Well apart from Dave's mum. The day before was his birthday and when he died the nurse asked if I wanted his cards and sundry other bits (a bag of sweets etc) and I said "no". She's just found out I left the cards and "I brought him such a nice card- why did you let them throw it away" etc. she's mad at me.Thing was the only thing as I wanted to take home was Dave

14. LesleySM

My application to join the staff bank has gone in so once again fingers crossed! They emailed me Friday and from what they said it looks like they get my form and a reference from Joanne then they have to give the agency 4 weeks' notice- in the 4 weeks' I sort out my occupational health form, DBS clearance and bank details. And then I'm in!

15. LesleySM

The bank gave notice to the agency Thursday- 4 weeks so after that I am employed or unemployed,

They sent me all the forms and my provisional offer, alas of course one of the forms asked if I have ever been dismissed.

I could gamble and say "no" after all Mary's are no longer my last employer so they may not even ask them but I didn't want to spend the rest of my working life waiting for them to find out. Luckily my boss Joanne was in so I told her about it and she is fine with it. She just thought I should have taken it further but understood why I didn't.

So the forms are in but I put that form right at the back and sent the whole lot in one batch.

I have been cleared by OH and I have a link to some online training apparently once I do that they will send me my formal offer of employment although they sent that before I sent them the forms.

I go to HQ next Saturday to do my ID checking,

Alas because every doctor bar one is away for the rest of the month Joanne can't justify giving me a full weeks work so we have arranged it that I am off this week (albeit unpaid) then get a full week from the 14th and hopefully back to normal after that

With my tax rebate etc, am not hurting too much for money right now and I really haven't had a proper break in years- I don't count when I was between jobs and trying to get another one so I plan to just enjoy this break

But once again fingers crossed- it's not exactly what I wanted but a massive step in the right direction if I do get the contract

Geren and steveandthedogs like this.
  16. LesleySM

Online training done last night- easy as I have done it before but very slow- they gave me these scenarios and I had to select the types of abuse- not difficult when I did adult and child safeguarding training just over a year ago but I did get slightly annoyed when in order to go to the next page I had to scroll over every type of abuse to be told this wasn't a case of that type of abuse when I knew that and in one scenario- basically guy lives with his male partner who is his carer who is making him give him money with the threat if he doesn't then he';ll tell his parents he's gay. Okay that's straight financial abuse and discriminatory abuse but the answers said it wasn't emotional abuse whereas I'd have called it that. Still once I worked out which answers they wanted I passed

So this morning I called HR to let them know I was really expecting them to say they read I got sacked and were withdrawing their offer but the only thing that concerned them was I haven't done my ID checking yet, which I am doing Saturday

So I am starting to believe it is going to happen but not getting my hopes up just yet

DaveS and steveandthedogs like this.
  17. LesleySM

ID checking was finally done Saturday so they have all my paperwork and I am now waiting on the final decision and should hear this week

18. LesleySM

Once again because I am agency and there isn't enough work I have been laid off for a week but I am now told the staff bank have all my paperwork and will let me know "when" I'm on their payroll which is better than letting me know "if" I am on their payroll so if all goes to plan a week Friday I stop working for the agency and start working for them but given they've been quibbling for over 2 months about owing me for 4 weeks' when they paid me at the lower rate when I started I don;t have a lot of faith in it being that straightforward

Saturday I popped to the summer fayre at Bow Church just for a look, picked up some Traidcraft stuff for very reasonable prices and a few DVD's and other odds and ends

Later on I was in the "Bells" and Debbie, the vicar and the rest of the Fayre participants were having a drink. Debbie asked after a mutual friend who moved out of London after her partner died, and in passing I mentioned I lost Dave last year and am still not sure what to do with his ashes, She said although the church is no longer allowed to bury people they do have a corner where they inter ashes where they have a rose garden and she would be happy to arrange for Dave's ashes to be interred there free of charge.

I think that will be the solution, it's a lovely church and grounds (those who came on my East London walk may remember it) and Dave was very fond of the church makes a lot more sense than interring them at Plaistow- which I think he went through by accident in a cab once

So now I have to organise that I don't want the ashes in the house- each to their own but Dave thought it was morbid and so do I I'll have to pick a day and collect them beforehand and take them straight to the church. It;s odd but dealing with the ashes has been harder than organising the funeral

So things seem to taking shape

19. LesleySM

Well at this moment in time tomorrow is my last day before I am back out of work.
    I have heard nothing from the Staff Bank people and the notice they put in with the agency runs out tomorrow so if they don't confirm one way or the other then no-one will pay me to come in Friday.
    Then again they couldn't organise a drink up in a brewery- they asked me for my DBS certificate I told them they already had two copies of it and the form to allow them to update it.
    They still told me to go onto a website and complete the form...
    Question 1: "Do you have a current DBS certificate that is registered with the updating service-yes or no?"
    I answered "Yes" and their own website told me I just needed to let them have a copy of the certificate!

And finally after 9 weeks they paid me the back pay from the 4 weeks when they paid me for the wrong band. The umbrella company is saying it's an overpayment due to an administrative error as they don't have a matching timesheet and want me to give it back!

My boss is off until tomorrow I am just hoping it's something like a form she needs to sign off needs doing but this is cutting it so fine! Talk about taking it to the edge!

20. LesleySM

Still waiting my boss told me to come in tomorrow and she'll get me paid through the agency for it and is going to insert rocket into HR's backside

Wonderful example of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing

On one hand she's got the finance people on at her because they don't like the expense of paying for an agency staffer when they could use someone from the staff bank

On the other hand you've got the people who could put me on the staff bank dragging their heels