1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

Norton Antivirus

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by aiwa_yamaha, Jun 12, 2007.

1. aiwa_yamaha

aiwa_yamaha Well-Known Member

Hi people

When i do a full scan with Norton Antivirus 2007 it only scans like 4000 files which i reckon is just the start up programmes normally its scans around 400,000 does anyone know why this is happening, could it be a virus?

Cheers, James

2. ogofmole

ogofmole Well-Known Member

Have you set the scan mode to do a complete scan of the computer, otherwise it will only scan the windows folder as default.

I no longer use Norton as it seems to be so memory hungry and my computer took ages to fire up, so it was removed and I now use AVG which has really speeded up my computer. :)

3. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

the same here, norton is a bag of nails, AVG is much better and its free with no outlay for updates

4. aiwa_yamaha

aiwa_yamaha Well-Known Member

I had AVG didn't really think to much of it. I'll look for the full scan but im not sure if it's that because i used to click the same button and it done a full scan i'll look when i get home.

5. bellyboy

bellyboy Well-Known Member

AGV is good at detecting, but pretty cr@p at removing - it also uses a lot of resources when updating, running etc.

Although, it is pretty good for a free scanner.

6. photojunkie

photojunkie Well-Known Member

Have a look at NOD32. Uses very little of your PC's resources and is quite cheap.

7. Gordon_McGeachie

I dont think that AVG uses as many resources as Norton when running, my pc runs faster with AVG on than when it had Norton and when I download updates it takes a matter of seconds to do and install.

8. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

My Norton subscription has just expired and I'm thinking of going for the all-in-one solution from Zone Labs. It ensures compatibility with my firewall as well. It's also cheap.

9. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I used Zone Labs (the commercial version) for some time, but recent versions gave me trouble with XP. Though their support has been good in the past, they seemed unable to sort this out and I have recently changed to AVG.

The problems seem to be related to a file labelled VSMON.EXE that gobbles up resources to the point where CP usage is 100% and the machine is effectively stopped.

10. bellyboy

Yes Gordon, it doesn't use as many resources as Norton but it comes fairly close, depending on the spec of the machine it runs on.

AVG was initially designed to detect rather than remove but it's only a matter of time before they cover the whole range of security aspects.

11. Gordon_McGeachie

my spec is

Gigabyte board
    Athlon 64 bit cpu
    1.5gb ram
    256mb video card

12. bellyboy

A good spec Gordon :)

13. Cyberdux

Cyberdux Well-Known Member

I use Zonealarm Security suite, and also run spybot aswell to be safe..

Got my pcs all networked and each one has a scan once a day incase.. amazing if you leave the pc idle that it still picks up spyware..

Dux

14. bellyboy

It will always happen if your pc is connected to the internet whether you use it or not, although it is annoying - spyware seems to get everywhere :mad: :(

15. Gordon_McGeachie

I have a LG-L1740BQ 17" tft monitor with a refresh time of 8ms and a contrast ratio of 700:1.

I think that this a `fairly good` system and is one of many that I have built.

16. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I see that there are not too many helpful answers here - you have touched the automatic 'foam at the mouth button' by mentioning Norton :)

Unfortunately this won't be too different. I had the same problem as you plus another symptom. If you right click on a file and then click the 'scan with Norton' option it seems to scan then when the results come it says that it has scanned zero files.

After spending a long time looking for faults (and calling the Norton Helpline) I ended up having to reinstall Norton. I never really understood what had happened.

MickLL

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Has anybody run the performance monitor tools and checked which ones use what resorces, how much and how long for?

My PC seemed to take ages to shutdown with both auto defrag and auto virus checking set....was all software that came installed but it doesn't seem to be all that compatible with each other. Different software might give people different results depending on what else is installed and running.

18. PeatSmoke

PeatSmoke Well-Known Member

David, did you (or anyone else for that matter) follow this route. Whilst I have over 100 days of Norton Internet Security Suite licensing left, I'm so brassed off with a number of issues caused by it (list too long to mention here without boring the pants off you all), that I'm thinking of kicking it into touch in favour of either the Zonealarm or AVG security suites.

I know that they both get good/reasonable reviews in the computing mags, and that you can download and install trial versions, but I would welcome any feedback that you might have here. I'm not a big fan of short-term trial version installations (even if they are time limited offerings of the FULL version) for the good of my Registry's integrity.

BTW I'm using MS Windows XP Pro, NOT Vista.

All comments and caveats welcome.

Regards to you all

Dave

19. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Yes, I went over to the full Zone Labs Intenet Security Suite and I think it costed roughly the same as NAV on it's own and that includes the firewall. It appears to work well and I don't get any pesky messages when it does a scan any more. It also seems quite hot on checking for spyware. So far, I'm pleased with it.

20. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

Avoid Norton like the plague. The best AV is Kaspersky AV without shadow of doubt. I used to have Norton and it let in 26 trojans that were only detected when I installed Kaspersky. Norton was fully updated and it would turn out zilch when searching. Kaspersky has better heuristics and is overall stronger protection, more so if you buy the full Internet Security version. One word of advice, just don't buy it online. Online their servers are based in Russia, a friend of mine bought it online, next thing he knows his card details were captured by the awaiting jackals. In fact that goes for any online transaction from sites based in Russia. You can buy it at PCWorld, it is sold there. I don't know if it is sold anywhere else. It was actually brought onto the shelves (it used to be online only) as it does a better job than either Norton or McAffee do.

Norton simply has the popularity, just like Microsoft. I have heard though that the Corporate edition is very good and doesn't have the problems that the regular consumer edition has.