1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No spare wheel in new cars! Really?!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rupert49, Oct 19, 2012.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

From the AA website:

"You don't have to carry a spare and it does not have to comply with the legal requirements while it is stowed away. However, when fitted to the vehicle (for example, following a puncture) it must then comply with the law. The spare is not tested in the MOT but the examiner may draw your attention to an unserviceable item as a matter of courtesy."

Roger

2. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I stand corrected on the point that a spare wheel carried should comply. However anyone with such would be rather silly.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Difficult to disagree but unfortunately I have seen examples of the spare being used and the removed wheel simply staying in the boot!

4. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

I wonder whether the AA is correct. Some (many) years ago I was prosecuted for a defective spare tyre. I had been stopped for something else but the boys in blue went over the car thoroughly. I was fined and given points.

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I can hear a ghostly Bruce Forsyth echo: "And what do points mean?"..........

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You should probably have contested that, even if having a spare were mandatory, you can't be prosecuted for having an unserviceable spare on the basis that you might have only just removed it from a road wheel position. A flat tyre is as defective as a bald one after all.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I was starting to wonder.....the wee apprentice lassie never went in the boot when I got an MOT the other week. She checked the rear lights and emmisions from the rear but that seemed to be about it. (I'm pretty sure the car checks the rear lights every time every time the ignition is turned on anyway....it tells me if there's an exterior light not working. More cars should have that:cool:)

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Presumably the Met? I have heard some funny stories about their "vehicle inspections". If it was a fairly recent conviction and happened to me I would personally start an appeal.

Roger

9. Guitarist

Guitarist Well-Known Member

Ghostly? I don't think so, I saw him last night on SCD!!

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Just because he is still alive doesn't mean he can't do ghostly...

Or should that be ghastly?

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

- Yes.

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I am not alone in finding this man totally obnoxious then, even as a child I couldn't stand him!

13. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

I remember seeing in AA or RAC literature that if you called them out to assist with a puncture they required you to have a serviceable spare.

14. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

Not so now.

From RAC web site:-