1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No spare wheel in new cars! Really?!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rupert49, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... hadn't really thought about that, Nick .. you and me both? :p:cool:

2. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

In the 60s, I believe it was compulsory to carry a spare. Does anyone know if the law on this has changed? Was it ever compulsory?

It seems to me the whole idea of not supplying a spare is just for the convenience of the manufacturers, not the car owners. They'll now be able to charge for a spare as an optional extra.

Despite not having had to change a wheel for years, I would never go on a journey without one for fear that the day I do, I'll wish I hadn't.

It's a bit like seatbelts - always used but (to date!) never needed. Just a sensible precautionary measure. Better safe than sorry.

Regards, Mike

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Oh, I've no illusions as to my insanity. ;)

4. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

Some time in 2009.

I had a blow out on the M1, and had the enjoyable experience of changing a drivers side wheel on the hard shoulder as other cars would veer nearer to me to rubberneck what was going on.
    As mentioned before, the blow out, and the driving on the flat tyre until I was able to change lanes and onto the hard shoulder, meant that the tyre was shredded. No amount of injectible gloop would have saved that tyre.
    Had it only been a nail or other debris in the tyre, I would still have had to remove the wheel to find it, remove it, patch the hole and re-inflate the tyre. In those circumstances, I'd rather go for the time saving and safer option of tyre off, swap with the one in the boot, tyre on, drive away.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I've had stuff like that happen but fortunately a crisp packet with some fag packet cardboard in it can substitute for a fair chunk of sidewall on a bike with inner tubes:D

This thread has reminded me that I have a spare wheel for an old Fiesta in my garage......wonder if it fits SWMBO's more modern Fiesta:confused:

6. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Sadly, I've had to do it twice in the last 18 months. In each case a new tyre was needed, and I'm driving fewer miles these days. Must have been unlucky I guess, as prior to this I have done many miles with no problems.

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The last time was last year I think. Not a big deal but the modern 16" 205/45s on my rover 25 are heavier than the old pram wheels I grew up with on an A40 and Triumph Herald.

The most memorable was having the sidewall shredded coming down the Wrynose Pass when I had to pull over quickly to let a white van up. Had to wait until I found a spot with only a 1:10 gradiant to change. Chocked the other three wheels with rocks, and I've never changed a wheel so fast. This was on a Scirrocco Storm, again big fat tyres, but only a space-saver wheel. Coming down a 1:3 on a front-mounted space-saver was . . interesting

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My policy is space saver on the back, even if it means changing two wheels.

9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

My car is leased from Motability, so if I get a puncture the RAC come and sort it.
    If I had to change it myself, I could on this one as it has a spare.

The last car didn't have a spare, and when I got a puncture the gloop would have been useless, as the puncture was caused by impact, and made an irregular tear which wouldn't have sealed.
    Like one of the above posts, I think that no rear seats, or easily stored removable rears are a great idea, a spare wheel is definitely something that makes me feel safer. Having some gloop as a backup would be ok if two tyres were to go.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

According to the manual for my car grip should be prioritised to the rear. It seems counter-intuitive but I guess they figure understeer is less of a problem than oversteer so it's safer that way.

Does your's not say the same thing?

11. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Given where I was. changing 1 wheel was fraught enough, no way would I have done 2. The sigh of relief I gave when I reached level ground on a reletivly main road probably reached 12 on the Beaufort scale.

Oh, and there was very little mobile signal.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It probably does but I prefer brakes to cornering and I do my best to minimise the distance covered on a space saver. They are speed and distance limited anyway so from my perspective grip isn't going to be an issue.

13. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

I had to change my offside wheel 2 months ago on a narrow, busy road, it's a Suzuki Grand Vitara so heavy wheels, kept having to jump out of the way of the oncoming traffic, made things interesting.
    I had an MOT done on the car two and half years ago and was told that I needed a new tyre on the spare as the tread was very poor. So I'm assuming from this that the spare is still a requirement.

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Which strikes me as another reason to prioritise grip to the rear - braking stability.

I've never tried either but I think I'll side with Saab on this one......they probably spent millions researching that one, hopefully useless, bit of advice:eek:;):D

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I can tell you, from experience, that it is entirely possible to drive a Saab 9000CSE with an almost completely flat rear tyre and be completely unaware of it.

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'll take your word for that:D

It would also appear to be possible in an Astra if neighbor of mine is anything to go by. Although it looks like it's possible to not notice 15psi in a front tyre in those tiny Chevrolet and Mitsubishi puddle jumpers too:eek::confused:

17. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I thought the advice by the police and motoring agencies was NOT to attempt to change a wheel on any motorway at all.

I mean seriously if you got a blow out or puncture on the driver side on the car.

You going to fiddle about with 50-70 MPH cars up you backside? :rolleyes: Especially in the dark?

Who in their right mind goes on long journeys using motorways and does not have breakdown cover?

Even on A roads it could be dicey depending where you have stopped.

In town yes you would change a wheel or re-inflate. That's where the maker are coming from.

I bet they did some survey or breakdown data and found in most cases if a puncture occurs on a M road or A road people call out the recovery. If it happens in town it is likely to be a simple puncture.

I have seen the single can type used from car spares stores work fine for over 100 miles. With a basic flat.

And as pointed if the orginal tyre is factory fitted it can be near impossible to get the wheel nuts undone.

I have had to use a different wheel nut driver to work on a car. The spare changer (supplied as standard) one was no good at all.

But from the demo we saw in the programme the designers of such kits need to improve the system.

18. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Logic requires that it cannot be legislated to make it mandatory to carry a spare wheel/tyre, as the spare could never be used. If it becomes necessary to fit the spare at the roadside, then you no longer have a legal spare, and can therefor no longer drive the vehicle.

Of course, logic and lawmakers make very uneasy bedfellows...

19. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

IIRC a spare wheel was a legal requirement on cars (but not 3 wheelers) many years ago but, like rules governing glass area, it seems to have lapsed. However it is quite correct that, if you carry a spare, it must have legal tread & be free from defects in the side wall etc ... like fog lights - you don't have to have them fitted but, if they are, they must be working.

You could probably get away with a "bald" spare by removing it from the vehicle when submitting for MoT test, if there's a query you could try claiming you had a puncture on the way to the test & dropped it off to be repaired. OTOH there's no excuse for fitting a "bald" spare, so it's useless ... even if actually safer than a skinny space-saver.

20. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Perhaps ignorance is bliss.

As far as I know there is no legal requirement that a spare wheel must be carried. I have already stated that my Mini Cooper has none. What the law does require is that if a spare is carried it must comply with the MOT standards.