1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No More 'Classic Camera' articles by Ivor Matanle :-(

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Monark, Oct 4, 2013.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I am not sure how many folk would want to read about the subject as much as that. Some serious collectors perhaps.

But a monthly article in a weekly magazine seems like a reasonable level.

2. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I am currently in the process of commissioning Ivor to produce a series of articles for AP which will appear over the coming months.

I'm curious to know what you mean by 'other changes at the magazine'. We are currently in the middle of a redevelopment of AP which will continue into april. The new look AP will be launched in June. In the meantime the current mix of content is pretty much as it was when I took over as Editor. I have not significantly changed anything or taken anything out that was in there before.

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hooray! I'll have to sort out re-instating my subscription.

4. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I'm with you with regards to the old equipment. I do like to keep abreast of new kit, so long as it's relevant to my photography.

The appeal of photography is so varied that no single magazine could really successful cover all aspects of it. Some are little more than collectors buying kit to put in glass cases. Others don't care what they're using as long as they get the image. Still more enjoy the process with little though of kit or end results. Then you have those who are interested more in image manipulation, in the work of others or in photography as a historical record.

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I rarely buy AP these day - but I will buy future issues with Ivor Matanle articles.

6. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`m with you on this Roger.I have a strong interest in classic cameras and read Ivor`s articles avidly.

I have been known to trawl charity shops in the hope they have cameras for sale.:rolleyes:

A while ago I picked up a Zeiss Ikonta with 75mm Tessar in remarkably good condition for just a few £s.

After a clean I ran a film through it and got a few good ones.

7. Nigel_Atherton

Roger, I'd be interested to know whether you consider yourself primarily a photographer or a camera collector.

8. Nigel_Atherton

Fans of Ivor may be interested to know that, in addition to the new (admittedly small) fortnighly column he is now writing in AP, there are four major features by Ivor coming up – the first of which will be in the 19th July issue, and the others in August.

9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Neither now.

I still have cameras and still take photos but the passion has long gone.

I once had an extensive collection of cameras, several hundreds, mainly pre WWII but also early post-war 1950/60's. However shortly after retirement I sold them all to fund new machinery (lathe, mill etc.) for my main hobby of model/micro engineering.

Most of the older cameras Ivor discusses/reviews I have owned at some time and it's interesting to compare his evaluation of a camera with my own. :)

10. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I look forward to those. Thanks for putting that together.

I think it's probably time I got my subscription restarted.

Oh, and I know you were asking Roger, but in case you're interested, I consider myself a photographer who collects (some) cameras. I like to take pictures with all the cameras I collect, and explore all their characteristics and suitability for different styles of photography. I also like to explore styles and processes of the past, though I don't take this to extremes - I don't even have convenient access to a darkroom, so although I do some film developing, the negs are scanned, and printing is via a computer. And a lot of films are just handed over the counter at Boots or Snappy Snaps, there's a limit to the time I have.

I also have some digital cameras which I take pictures with - probably roughly equal numbers of shots on vintage film and digital over the last year.

And although some cameras are great to look at, sometimes just nice to hold in your hands, I don't lose track of the fact that the primary design objective is to take photographs - so that's what I try to do.

I realise that satisfying the precise interests of all (potential) readers in a subject as broad as photography is an impossible challenge, and also that my own personal main interests are like to be in a small minority, but you've got a bit more of a chance of getting closer to that goal if we at least tell you what we're interested in.

Thanks for your efforts so far.

11. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

That`s very good news to me Nigel.Thanks for the heads up.;)