1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No More 'Classic Camera' articles by Ivor Matanle :-(

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Monark, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Monark

Monark Member

Oh dear! It seems some people do get upset quite easily.

So, for anyone who simply must know, I'm more than happy to quote my source in this case. Ivor himself made the announcement in one of his regular articles in the PCCGB (Photographic Collectors Club of Great Britain) newsletter. This only goes out to club members, but it was then spoken about by a few of us in a real-world situation, ergo it is in the Public Domain & I felt OK posting here which I hoped would be of interest to many on this forum.

There have been several posts saying how sadly the articles would be missed, which is exactly what I had hoped for. If members of the AP editorial staff read these messages and there was enough interest, I thought they might even think again.

I didn't expect the thread to be hijacked by a few anonymous keyboard warriors. Hey-ho. :-(

Tim Goldsmith.
    Monark Cameras
    St Neots, Cambs.
    AP Subscriber.
    PCCGB 1739
    (My membership number, not the date I joined!)

PS I think the only curve I have ever been ahead of is when I came off my Norton on a country lane. I went one way and the bike went the other. ;-)

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Thing is, that's exactly what you came over as - had you introduced yourself first and given us a bit more info as to the background of your statement, you might not have generated so much distrust - your case is not helped by your rude approach in subsequent posts, of course.

I'm sorry if Ivor's articles are finishing, but I suspect Roger's analysis is spot on the money - as it is, several have been not much more thn rehashes of previous articles on the same cameras, so it's probably time for a fresh perspective on the subject - I just hope (and trust) that there will be precisely that, and that it won't be the end of articles on classic cameras in the mag.

3. Monark

Monark Member

A bit harsh I feel as this section is clearly marked as
    Constructive suggestions, comments, feedback, and queries regarding Amateur Photographer magazine.

Nowhere does it say to introduce oneself first, nor did it in the confirmation message I got on registering. If this is what is expected then fine, but maybe the Admin crew should point newcomers in the direction of :-

Introductions
    New to the forum? Come on in and say "Hello!"

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Simply a matter of common sense. Your first post was one announcing something related to the mag that hadn't been officially announced, and we didn't know you from Adam. How is anyone supposed to know if you're credible or not, if what you're saying is true or not? It's not me being harsh, it's not a matter of site rules, it's just a case of giving yourself the best opportunity to be taken seriously.

5. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

The plot thickens.

No more Classic Camera articles but, next week, the Miranda is an Ikon of Photography.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I must be a very strange beast because I ignore such articles. I have little interest in modern equipment (except on the very rare occasion that I want to buy something) and no interest at all in old equipment.

No offence to Ivor but I won't miss the articles.

MickLL

7. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Maybe buy an antique collectors mag if you want to read about old gear ?

I don't know who Tim is but he's a feisty one ?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Don't think that makes you strange at all - photography is a very broad church, and there's room for all with all sorts of interests that's one of the things I love about it.

9. Monark

Monark Member

Only when cornered. ;-)

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

First sentence: I can't think of any magazine that covers old camera gear from a collector/user point of view. Do you know any?

Second sentence: I've known Tim for maybe 30 of the nearly 40 years he's been in the photographic business: distribution, manufacturing, publishing, camera collecting... He's an extremely knowledgeable guy and the forum is lucky to have him.

Cheers,

R.

11. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

It seems that Ivor's website (www.clasic-cameras.net) appears to no longer function. I wonder if he has moved. Does anyone have an alternative link? Thanks - John

12. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

13. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Thanks Fen - John

14. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Let us know how you get on :)

15. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

I have one of his books on SLR's and even bought a couple of cameras from him on ebay that appeared in one of his AP classic camera articles. This is a shame.

16. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I even emailed the magazine editor about this, and received a reply that struck me as slightly condescending. I quite appreciate that classic camera enthusiasts are probably a minority of AP's readership, but Ivor's articles were only 3 pages a month (and I guess Tony K's column was about another half page a month, though that seems to have disappeared as well).

So I'm considering dropping my subscription to AP, and joining PCCGB instead. I'll probably skim through the mag in WH Smiths from time to time, and buy the odd copy when there's something of particular interest.

At least there's still plenty of interesting stuff on the forums!

17. kendavis

kendavis Active Member

I have been watching the magazine to see if anything similar appears and we have had one article on using 'classic' cameras but nothing of the depth and quality of Ivor's sorely missed articles, this and other changes at the magazine mean that I will not renew my subscription.

18. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I too enjoyed Ivor Matanle's articles, and my local Co-op where I've bought the AP weekly for over 30 years has recently stopped stocking it. They'll "take an order", but that's not been necessary before. "Amateur Gardening", I assume from the same stable, is still stocked.

19. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

... same at my local branch of the Co-op. Still dozens of mags there not AP for months :confused:

20. WOODYR

WOODYR Active Member

This is very sad news, for everyone that has an interest in classic cameras. Film has not gone completely yet, so i think the cameras that were used, should still have a place in photography magazines, as film and classic cameras, still have a very large following.

I don't suppose there is such a publication as Classic Cameras is there ? Maybe someone should publish one.