1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No More 'Classic Camera' articles by Ivor Matanle :-(

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Monark, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Monark

Monark Member

I just heard that the articles by Ivor Matanle in the magazine are to shortly come to an end. :-(

As a collector, user & dealer in old cameras I would like to let everyone at AP know just how well received these articles have been each month.

It has been great that AP has done more than its fair share to help promote this sector of the market, albeit a small one, and I will be really sorry to see the articles go.

Regards

Tim

2. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Shock Shock Shock !! I really looked forward to reading these articles -- all about when Cameras were REALLY CAMERAS ! Please don't cut him out Mr Editor ---
    Perplexed and Disappointed of Brentwood, Essex.

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

(for want of a better formed argument)

Adrian

4. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Let's move on folks. Maybe Benchista could write a column for the forums?

Besides, it looks like Monark (Tim) only joined to pass on this uncorroberated news.
    I am sure that the AP Staffers will update us soo enough.

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

If it is true it is a retrograde step.

It is one of the more interesting regular features
    It would be sadly missed.
    Perhaps there is room for a "Classic camera" feature in another magazine.

6. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

There should be more features in the magazine like this......not less.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well in terms of Ivor's articles, I'll wait to panic until I've seen it from a verified source, but I might finally get my finger out and do something myself... ;)

8. gray1720

Agreed, Benchista - let's hear it from the top, but apart from anything else I really ought to write more reviews of some of my relics. I haven't got half of what Tony K (who does the back page, and has the surname I can't remember) has, but I'm willing to give it a go!

Adrian

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Adrian,

I used to do a "Classic and Collector" column for Shutterbug in the United States, and the trouble is that after a while you run out of really interesting cameras to review and are thrown back on stuff that is more boring or modern or both. Or, sometimes, on modest variations on what has gone before. Getting hold of interesting kit becomes increasingly difficult. I've not spoken to Ivor about this -- in fact I've not spoken to him about anything for a good few years, since I moved to France, and I hope he's all right -- so I'd be interest, too, to see whether/if he is in fact quitting, and if so, why.

For a "classic" piece on my web-site (Exakta) take a look at http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/ps collect varex.html

Cheers,

R.

10. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

11. gray1720

Thank you, Mark! I don't have as many cameras as Tony, nor do I have as many hats!

Agreed, Roger - I did a quick mental count, and I could do 74 weeks at one camera a week... but at least thirty are box cameras and really once you've done one, what more can you say, especially as I have at least three Kodaks identical bar the colour? It would also be cheating to do the Werra 3, as you did it for Shutterbug!

Mind you, I still have six rolls of 127 in the fridge, and several untested 127 cameras still... I'm still hoping it will rise phoenix-like from the ashes, as I would love to get some more use out of my Purma Speed - I am still the only person on Flickr to have used one, even ahead of Tony Kemplen - and I've yet to try the Vest Pocket Kodak either.

OK, I admit it, I have the old camera bug bad. I might have time to learn photography properly if I didn't...

Adrian

12. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

13. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

Gosh yes! The shot where they are all on the floor for moving is amazing.

Fascinating stuff, thanks for the link.

I think he needs help :)

14. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

That's not a collection, that's an obsession! :eek:

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I did notice he took one or two photos but where did he find the time....

16. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

... probably his lifetime's output! :)

17. Monark

Monark Member

This news is in already out there, direct from the horse's mouth (and in writing if you actually know where to look).

Yes, I just joined and yes, this is my first post - but luckily 30+ years in the UK photo industry has given me a pretty thick skin. :-D

18. Monark

Monark Member

Hi Roger. How's things?

No need to concern yourself, Ivor is AOK - just out of this part of his job. :-(

See you soon

Tim

PS Bit lively here, isn't it? ;-)

19. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Hi Tim! Any chance of your coming over? Thanks for reassuring me about Ivor.

Cheers,

R.

20. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

So thick, in fact, the decent thing of suggesting where to look has passed you by... Still, if it makes you feel ahead of the curve, enjoy! ;)