1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon Lens Ring

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Declanworld, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Declanworld

Declanworld Member

I have a Nikon lens which has decided to part company with a rubber seal/ring(?) - have a look at the pic (see the red arrow).

Can this be easily re-attached?

Is it an actual seal or just a cosmetic cover?

[​IMG]

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Assuming the front lens is not now loose then it's probably part seal, part cosmetic. If it's rubber then it is probably a simple push push fit though I suppose it may just screw in using the filter thread. It didn't by any chance come of when you removed a filter did it? That might well suggest you can just screw it back in.

How necessary it is I'm not sure, the front lens is normally held in place by a metal ring. As long as the lens isn't loose it's most likely watertight to all but the most terminal drenching...

Declanworld likes this.
  3. Declanworld

Declanworld Member

It's very thin and floppy - somebody suggested superglue.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Personally I'd avoid something like superglue as that may well make it impossible to remove and might even make disassembling the lens impossible if it needed a major repair. If was glued in originally then I imagine that Nikon used a rubber based glue. If you need to glue it back then I suggest something like Copydex or perhaps the rubber solution you find in bike tyre repair kits may be a better option if used sparingly.

All advice supplied without guarantee or liability of course...;)

Declanworld likes this.
  5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Don't go anywhere near it with any type of glue. A single drop of it on the glass, even if it is not detectable in images,will destroy the resale value of the lens.

Declanworld likes this.
  6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The seal will act to reduce dust and moisture ingress, most likely it will screw in on the filter threads, they certainly did in the past, I would doubt the use of an adhesive as it would make the lens difficult to strip for repairs.

Declanworld likes this.
  7. Declanworld

Declanworld Member

It's not screwable - it's just a very thin ring of rubber.

8. gw8izr

gw8izr Active Member

It does just locate into the filter thread though, its a flexible gasket. If its still a reasonable fit try putting it in place and screwing a filter over it and that will press it into place. Once seated properly it shouldn't drop out. Leave it in a warm room for an hour before you fit so its flexible.

Declanworld and Craig20264 like this.
  9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's so obvious in hind-sight! A UV filter can be left on. I don't bother with them so much now but I always used to. There is a small increased propensity to flare because the lens hood is designed to shade the front element not the face of the filter on the other hand if you are somewhere dusty or wet then cleaning the filter is easy. Canon lenses are only considered weatherproof with a filter on.

Declanworld likes this.
  10. Declanworld

Declanworld Member

Thanks comrades for your excellent tips.

11. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

The ring is made from VERY thin metal and is stuck on with a simple (round / circular) piece of double sided tape.

How do I know? I took one off (removed the front element and got a large piece of crud out!) and had to find a way to stick it back on - after having destroyed the piece of double sided tape it came with!

It's cosmetic - as the screw holding the front element in effectively seals the lens behind this ring.

12. Declanworld

Declanworld Member

That's great to know, Ian - thanks.