1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon Lens Issue

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Learning, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Thanks to a certain rumor site, I linked to http://www.nikon-image.com/products/slr/lineup/d850/system_lens.html#a1
    I am not actually interested in buying a D850 but I am interested in the list of lenses that Nikon themselves consider worthy of their top resolving camera.
    There is a hole between 35mm and 58mm in the list of primes. Its common knowledge that two third party manufacturers make better 50mm lenses than Nikon's own offering. However its quite an implied admission from Nikon that they do not make a 50mm fit for their top model.

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

The first lens I put on my D810 was the 50mm f1.8G and I was stunned by the quality of the images it gave me. Maybe I was just lucky and got a good one.

Interesting to see the good old 105mm AF-DC lens (and the 135mm as well) on the list - it's an old 'D' series lens and built like a tank. Its raison d'etre is to be used as a portrait lens but I'll happily admit that I've tramped around a forest using mine for landscapes before now and have managed to get some good results.

Cheers, Jeff

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Or maybe Nikon are trying to punt extra and expensive lenses to us!

The test report I saw a while ago of the 58mm f1.4 G wasn't exactly glowing, especially in the light of it's price.

4. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I bought a new 50mm nikkor 1.8 for less than a £100 a couple of years ago, it really does produce good detailed quality images as I would expect from any prime lens, but now I am so used to using a zoom lens, this particular lens only gets used every so often, its not an heavy lens and its feels like its made from plastic, but I have never regretted buying it...

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There is a reason why it feels like it is made from plastic! It is!

6. IvorCamera

I am not really worried that its made out of plastic as long as it does the job I bought it for, I would not dare use it out in the rain though!

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a cheap way of manufacturing a product with decent performance. It is not going to corrode in the rain though!

8. IvorCamera

You are right it is not going to corrode in the rain, but I do sometimes use my cameras in the rain but something tells me not to use this particular lens, I always pack it when traveling light to places where it dont rain.......once again it is a cheap lens that gives good results.....

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not really... When Canon launched the 50Mp 5Ds/Ds R pair they also had a list of recommended lenses which had it's omissions. They too suffered from the public misunderstanding that because a lens wasn't on the recommended list it was therefore unusable and rubbish. All the recommendation means is that any lens on the list means is that the lens is capable of rendering the finest detail the camera can manage. With lenses not on the list the camera will still deliver the best quality the lens can achieve - which may well be more than any lesser model can do...

IvorCamera likes this.