1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon launches new compact system cameras with small sensors

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by Damien_Demolder, Sep 21, 2011.

1. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

What do ex-wrestlers know about cameras anyway?

No surprise Nikon has entered the CSC market, despite claiming they had no interest. It won't be long before we see Canon's effort I suspect.

I am a bit disappointed tho, I think the V1 looks pretty ugly from the product shots with esp with that matt finish. J1 looks better, pink for the win.

I'll be interested to see if the decision to go for a smaller sensor with the relatively high cost can be justified when compared to a compact like the new Canon S100, and see if it was a good choice.

Interesting times ahead.

2. algenon_iii

algenon_iii Well-Known Member

Seeing as we're quoting Thom Hogan :D

I can't help but agree with this one

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Except the complainers and the mildly interested or puzzled bystanders who join in comments here (me - the latter - plus others) are representative of, I suspect, a large chunk of the potential/actual market for this thing. Not necessarily the target as your quote denotes but the buyers or influential commenters thereon.

Am not yet convinced it is a mass market consumer camera - sales will tell.

It was not long ago that quite a few folk, including me, were holding our breath waiting to see if the Olympus Pens were a success. That model series launch was probably essential for Olympus.

I feel this - as produced - is a non-essential diversion for Nikon. I was surprised they have done it this way; had they produced a m/f DSLR I would have been much less surprised.

4. 0lybacker

Oh no! Not that again? You'll have me mentioning Pens with Opti-zoom finders next ... ;) :rolleyes:

Thought you had got the D700 sorted? :confused:

5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Surely this is designed to compete in that market of the Olympus PEN and Lumix G?

Why else produce a CSC?

They could have just produced a very high compact like the X100 from Fuji.

They have even taken up the idea of different colour bodies like the E-PM1 and E-PL3.

Although I think it's real target is the E-P3 market position.

So if consumers looking at the Olympus E-P3 they might consider this instead.

6. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

I have - just can't help myself!;)

7. Paul_Reading

Paul_Reading Well-Known Member

Who produced this video Nikon or AP? You would have thought they would have at least known where to find the "White Balance" button. I hope this was not shot on either of the new cameras.

8. 0lybacker

You are doing well to have been able to watch it at all. All I got was a web-site page and a white blank space after clicking on the link!

9. Paul_Reading

Paul_Reading Well-Known Member

I have an Apple Mac

10. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Have you seen a doctor about that? :D

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I have a gaberdine mac but I don't shout about it.....;):D

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If we're on shameful admissions, I once had a Big Mac...:eek:

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

so did Barney.............at the Edinburgh Festival

14. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

Nice looking cameras but I probably wont be buying one, I can't really see any advantage that these Nikon's have over MFT.

Going back to page 3 of this thread... I disagree that you need 7mb for a 8x10 print, I've A4 prints taken with a 3mb camera that I'm happy with but I suppose it really does depend upon what makes you happy.

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think it's reduced lens size, Alan.

16. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

Could be, but I dunno if they'll be significantly smaller as a lens and body package.

I think I'll stick with MFT but dunno if you lot have read what Thom Hogan says about the Nikon's? He points out that they could be of use for sports shots for small web images.

17. 0lybacker

Agreed. So, a 4/3 sensor might have guaranteed Nikon extra sales and a secure future.

Now they have to convince enthusiasts a smaller sensor and limited lens range is worth the Nikons' (currently higher) admission prices.

The general consumer market probably will mostly not be interested (I could be wrong) because their attention will be on phones and tablets at present. So that leaves the fashion driven element of the general consumer market: will that be enough to provide the sales to guarantee the cameras' future? And will enough of those have the disposable income in these straightened times and be willing to part with it for what for them might just be 'a camera'?