1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon launches new compact system cameras with small sensors

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by Damien_Demolder, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

AF points in the sensor... to me the smaller amount of control buttons and the 10mp limit suggests they want CX to be in between the compact and SLR... But with that sensor... Shouldn't be too long before the next round of APS-C / 35mm sensors come along and then they'll have the ability to go on a level with the Sony SLT, but without the pellicle mirror... exciting times. The markets getting reet shook up.

2. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Q.E.F'ing.D

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. algenon_iii

algenon_iii Well-Known Member

Hmm...

Won't be a dSLR replacement for me. Might be good for a holiday cameras set-up though.

dSLR + 18-200mm
    Nikon 1 + 10mm (for when you don't want to lug around a dSLR)
    Nikon 1 + AF-S adaptor + 18-200mm (a 48-540mm equivalent for when you need serious zoom)

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite right. I've given up even trying to understand what is meant by this sort of gibberish. I'm sure most people can see it's nonsense, but it does worry me that beginners might think that there is actually some meaning in there, and waste their time with it...:mad:

5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Ok, another way of putting it. 2.71x2.73x10MP = 73.9MP (FF 35mm sensor)

Then 4/3 is 2x2x16MP = 64MP (FF 35mm sensor approx because of the aspect ratio mismatch)

Or to put another way the Pixel pitch (µm) is lower therefore more pixels per mm. It around 3.41µm instead of 3.63µm of the GH2 sensor. Of cause the lenses have to be upto the job of focusing the light information on to the pixels.

In other word if you took a shot on your GH2 and digital crop it to simulate a 2.7x factor of 35mm you end up with around 8.78MP not 10MP as on the new camera. But the GH3 (18MP) etc will bring that closer. :)

This is why some have suggested the next flagship dSLR from Nikon will be 48MP ie 2x24MP (APS sensor of the A77) Although it is not quite that again because of aspect ratio. :)

6. P_Stoddart

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I stand by my original comment.

8. P_Stoddart

Ok, forget you disagree with what I have said. What do you think of the test images from June 2011 of this new camera.

Are you impressed?

Will it take sales away from say the lower pixel count 4/3 cameras like the G2, GF2 & GF3?

Or the Olympus PENs?

9. RogerMac

I have not yet seem any test images from this camera and if they are from June 2011 they are worth nothing anyway, only images from a full production model count. Having said that I am sure they will be good, the fact that Nikon kept the pixel count down to 10Mp is a very good sign.

Will they take sales away from the mFT camers? No idea - but they won't be getting my business, the lack of a hot shoe alone will stop me buying one. I said in another post on this forum that I held off buying a Pen until I was offered one plus pancake plus adaptor for £400, that is about what I would want to spend on such a camera (even if it had a hot shoe)

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It must have a hot shoe as it supports flash and gps units wiith shoe mounts.

11. RogerMac

The small one is built in flash only and the V1 has a comms. port that is non standard only taking Nikon units

12. RogerMac

Just a follow up to my previous post - it is clear that I am not the target market that they are aiming at so it really does not matter what I think.

However I am glad that I am not a dealer as they will have a stocking nightmare with all those colour variations - to quote Thom Hogan "You could end up with a red camera with a black case with a white lens."

All this makes me sound like a rabid anti-Nikon fanatic but I am not and I think it is an attaractive first offering, just needing several iterations of body style, a lot of new lenses and a price drop to make it a nice system, too late for me though as I am already well suited.

13. P_Stoddart

I posted the link further up the thread. I think they look good and that is probably a prototype or early production sample. So logically they would be better in the production run when the firmware (maybe hardware) tweaks are added.

If your interested here is the link again. :)

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/bodies/j1/sample.htm

There are samples from both bodies.

I do agree not including a hotshoe is a mistake. Could not have been that much of a problem to do it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  14. RogerMac

I do not understand why you are so interested in my opinion of the samples, but just for the record I think they are good but not outstanding, but then perhaps I have been spoiled by looking at too many images made with Oly professional level glass. You might also be interested in Thom Hogan's opinion of the samples he has seen:

"Crappy sample images. No, the underlying pixels aren't all that bad (I see some deep corner softness with the 10-30mm and some CA on blown highlights), it's that the photos themselves aren't marketable. I'd have hit the delete button on all these samples, for various reasons. This is a great vacation camera, so send a great photographer on vacation with the damned thing and let them shoot some real shots that are compelling. I suspect too many marketing and advertising guys were standing around directing the blah we got. Fire them. And stop cutting off elbows and having random arms in the shot and a haze of cyan/beige overall. Or maybe it was a product manager's samples trying to save money on marketing. Fire him and the decision makers. You only get one chance to make a first impression. The Nikon 1 samples didn't make a great impression. (The brochure pictures were better. However, the seagull image in the brochure shows that it was strongly post processed over the sample on the web [just look at the sky color alone] ;~)."

15. gobbybob

gobbybob New Member

I am of the age that remembers Olympus OM1, Pentax MX and the like. Small, beautifully crafted SLR's that were a joy to use and easy to carry. Now why can't effort be put behind bringing modern DSLR's down in size, instead of launching completely new systems? Am I alone in wanting a DSLR that does not need a truss for you to carry it around all day long? My EOS 5D MKII gives fab results but it comes with the burden of a large body, and if I put an f2.8 zoom on the front it becomes a monster. I also have a dislike for small sensors - when quality is important I feel they are always at a disadvantage. As you can guess, anything below APS-C (which in film terms can be called 'small') would not fit the bill. I know an EOS600D is about the same length as an OM1, but in all other dimensions it dwarfs that camera. The OM1 measures roughly the same front to back with a 50mm f1.8 as the 600D body only. I'll just have to wait!

16. P_Stoddart

Certainly not a fan is Mr Hogan:

He expresses further opinion here: http://bythom.com/

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I had an OM1n which I traded in for a Nikon 'cos it was too small. Somewhere I've also got a Pentax MV which is even worse to use...

Guess what size cameras I think are a joy to use...;)

18. RogerMac

19. P_Stoddart

20. gollum

gollum Well-Known Member