1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D850 has arrived

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AndyTake2, Aug 24, 2017.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Why not? I have nearly 1TB of photographs already and a D3 file is only 25MB

I agree

It is priced at $3,500 in the USA

2. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I agree about the price. My D800 cost just under £1900 from my local camera shop, although D800Es presumably cost much the same to make, and were sold at higher prices. I don't know whether they sold enough to subsidise the cost of the D800s much.

Chris

3. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

I do believe there are 3 settings for RAW... Fine , medium and "Slumming it":)

4. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

I rushed out and bought my D800 within two days of it being released on the market, from Amazon.... it cost £2,600. 4 months later, the price fell to an average of £2,100........ bummer, but learned my lesson. When the D500 came out, I waited a couple of months, and got it for £1,399.95 so I will wait a few months before acquiring my D850....

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I fail to see the point of having a 45MP camera and then using it as something less. For me it would be either full resolution or not bother.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I agree. There seems to be no point in paying out this kind of money and not exploiting the available performance. Whether most of us actually need this kind of camera is another matter. I'll just stick with my D610 and Fuji CSC. Either is capable of producing a decent A3 print, which is all I really require.

The other issue is of course the lenses needed to get the best out of the camera, as the camera will be able to get the best out of just about any lens you care to clip on the front.

7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

So you effectively got 4 months use of the latest kit for £500. What would it have cost to hire the camera for that time?

and the same goes for the in camera DX crop. You can always reduce what you have during post processing but you can't get back what you throw away in camera.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Most people won't believe that DX lenses can be used on FX bodies without problems as long as the focal length is restricted. I used a 17-55 f2.8 on a D3 and it was fine from about 24 to 55*. Using the DX crop I would have lost 7MP of data to no benefit, rather like reverting to a D2h. I can quite happily manage with 24-55 most of the time so, for a couple of days it wasn't a problem.

*We were in Cornwall and I hadn't had the D3 for very long, one morning I discovered that my elderly Sigma 18-70 f2.8 had a fault where by it over exposed at longer focal lengths. Having a D2X with 17-55 f2.8 in my bag I resorted to using the 17-55 on the D3.

10. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

My D700's still going strong. In no hurry to switch as it does the job for me.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The D700 was the last DSLR that I was excited by. Lovely in its simplicity.

Edit - I was briefly excited by the Df, until I handled one.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

At the time the D700 was a product that had a good combination of attributes, including being a more affordable full frame body.

The DF has a certain kind of appeal, it looks rather traditional and is apparently a good performer, but perhaps many have got past the kind of feel older cameras possessed, it is maybe a Marmite camera. I feel that Fuji seem to have managed the blending of traditional and modern rather better with their CSCs.

Zou likes this.
  13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

The D700 was a turning point in digital photography. Built like a tank, it was nevertheless real camera shaped, and at the time, that sensor was a wonder.
    Whilst the D3 was considered the pro, I think the 700 will be the one we remember in another 10 or 20 years.

Zou likes this.
  14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I've never even handled one but I have two D3 bodies. In 20 years time either will be usable only if batteries are available. Cameras today are at the mercy of battery manufacturers, unless you want to carry around an inverter and a mains power supply.

15. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I am still of the opinion that Nikon missed a trick with the Df. It could have been mirrorless and contained within an FM2n-sized body.