1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D850 has arrived

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AndyTake2, Aug 24, 2017.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I think I've picked up on that already....

I've had e-mails this morning from Nikon themselves (UK, Europe and USA), WEX, Calumet, Jessops, Grays of Westminster and my Twitter feed has been filled with notices from many, many different sources. Even Manfrotto have got in on the action with recommendations for bags in which to carry this marvellous new toy!

If I wasn't made of sterner stuff I'd be weeping like a little child because I can't afford to buy one.

Cheers, Jeff

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I've sold everything else, there goes my soul...

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I don't actually want one, thanks all the same.
    Now if I could have it without the Video mode, tilting screen, touch screen and Snap Bridge I might be slightly more interested. At least it hasn't got a built in flash, something pretty pointless if you use a 24-70 f2.8.

I am not sure that I need the file size that a 45MP sensor implies.

A nice D3X would be another matter.

5. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

You can ignore SnapBridge, don't turn on video mode, leave the screen untilted and don't touch the screen either.

mediaman and ChrisNewman like this.
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Fine, what about the file size when using raw?

mediaman likes this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I would be rather embarrased trading in my D800 because it has such a low shutter count. Over the time that I have had it, I have mostly used a D7100 (traded in) and a brace of D500, and in bad conditions even a now defunct D300. As tempting a machine that the D850 is, I think that my camera usage demonstates that I should stick with D500. Having two identical DX cameras is a real pleasure and aid to familiarity. One could argue that I could take a DX crop from a D850 and still have as many pixies but have the advantage of full frame on the rare ocasions that I want it, also the control layout of the D850 and D500 are near identical. Trading in the D800 and one D500 would certainly ease the cost. Perhaps if I was interested in video I would jump.
    With fast cards and a modern computer the file sizes should not be a problem. Te file size is not such a big jump from the D800.
    A pity that the WiFi is apparently still crippled by Snapbridge and that the WR-R10 /WR-A10 flash controller functionality is not built in.

8. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

That would be the only sticking point for me at present. it's all academic anyway. I can't afford the camera, nor the computer I would need to handle the files. :(

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Ignoring something, or just not using it, is not the same as its not being there in the first place. I suppose I could reprogram the Video button to something useful and possibly use superglue to stick the screen in place but SnapBridge would need to be deactivated as would the touch screen.

Anyway, although I could afford one I really don't think it worth the money. I have two D3 bodies and another of those would be more sensible and cheaper.

Learning likes this.
  10. Learning

I would say less expensive rather than cheaper.
    On my D500 I turn on aeroplane mode; this deactivates snap bridge and possibley improves battery life.

11. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

It will seem quite moderate by this time next year.;)

12. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I can only recall two camera shops having my email address, yet the powers that be started sending me emails at 5pm this morning with a slow trickle of emails arriving throughout the day, all to do with a D850, I gather there are shelves full of them and stocks available everwhere! I cant wait to get to Aldis to check one over, in the meantime my old D800 is shaking with fear in case it goes to new owners, oh and the D3 is sitting very comfortable by the door getting ready to be a doorstop.....I suppose straight after this Nikon will announce the first Pro mini mirrorless super camera! which will be the best camera ever....in the meantime I have had a extra go on the lotto....

13. Learning

I like the idea of checking a camera over while getting the groceries or even buying a signalling lamp. Sorry, I am just in the mood and couldn't resist the Aldis, Aldi's pun. Feel free to get your own back. You shouldn't have to wait long.

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That's bright, stop being flash!

15. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

That would be the main thing, other than the price of almost double what I paid for my D800, that would put me off it (provided I could ignore SnapBridge without it causing problems). I value having a flash available for darkness, poorly-lit macro subjects or fill-in on faces, but most of the time I don’t want to carry a separate flash unit.

I’d really appreciate the tilting screen for macro.

I’d miss not having separate AE-L /AF-L and AF-ON buttons, but having a joystick for positioning the focus point would more than make up for that.

Chris

16. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Don't get too obsessed about Raw file size. I have several thousand D800/D810 image Raw files (plus 30,000+ from earlier Nikons) on a hard disc and it is only 25% full.

However, I am ambivalent about the touch screen. The one on my Panasonic GX7 is a damned nuisance - always causing things to happen when my nose touches it (as it must when my eye is to the viewfinder).

The price seems a bit high. My D800 cost about £2300 when first introduced; my D810 about the same, I would have hoped that the D850 might have hit the market at about £2500. I doubt if the Brexit-induced devaluation of the £ against the ¥ accounts for all of the hike.

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

You do realise hard discs come in different sizes? ;)

18. Learning

The button placements seem to be identicle to those on the D500. If that is so then to me they would be better than on the D800. Many of the buttons can be assigned to suit yourself.
    I found the D800 flash of not much use except to trigger a pair of SB200 for macro. I have bought a second hand commander unit. I suppose that most of us will not know how similar the controls of the D850 and D500 are until the D850 manual is published on line. You can ignore snapbridge if you do not need WiFi.

19. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I quite like the idea of the focus shift function to automatically produce a set of focus-stacked images...I suppose I'll have to wait until the D870 comes out and second-hand prices for used D850s drop significantly...

Cheers, Jeff

ChrisNewman likes this.
  20. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I was surprised, and rather shocked, that recent pro-level Nikon bodies have reverted from the pair of AF buttons that I find so convenient on my D800 to a single button like that on my D90. I don’t know whether the D850 has a programmable button assigned by default to a function I wouldn’t miss that is conveniently placed for operation by a spare digit when holding the camera ready to operate the shutter, and I shan’t bother checking all the while buying a D850 is a daydream, rather than an expense I could try to justify.

Chris