1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D80 Tripod For Overhead Shots

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Cath_J, Feb 15, 2017 at 11:37 AM.

1. Cath_J

Cath_J New Member

Hi Guys,

I am a complete amateur photographer who is looking for a cheap and cheerful tripod to do overhead/birds eye view product shots. I'm looking for something budget - it doesn't need to be moved around, will just be used in studio for flat lay product shots. Any recommendations? I've been looking on ebay but don't seem to be searching for the right thing to find a overhead arm or whatever it is called!

Any help massively appreciated :)

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Some tripods come with a rotating column that doubles as a boom. Depending on what you hang on it there will be a need to counterbalance. If what you are photographing is small then I think most tripods let you reverse the column and point the camera downwards but it is a bit fiddly because you are working inside the legs. I have done it to copy photographs.

4. Cath_J

Cath_J New Member

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The arm should have a 1/4" bolt hole to screw onto the tripod and at least one 1/4" screw to fit the camera. You should be able to use a simple arm on any camera tripod.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

In my experience tripod arms are wobbly. You may well 'lash up' something better which is perfectly matched to your needs. Various gubbins with quarter inch and three eight inch threads are available.You may well find that one of those slider rails which are designed for video, attached at both ends to a home made timber frame is perfect. You would also need a head to attach to the slider. If you already have a tripod wth a removeable head then that head will be fine. Cheap support to me implies a bit of DIY engineering.

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker Well-Known Member

Get to Manfrotto's w/s or Calphoto (Calumet - pro dealer) w/s and look at the bits. From memory the Manfrotto arm is a 131 but I could be wrong. You take the head off the tripod and bolt it onto one end of the arm. I've used it on a Manfrotto 58 and on a 055 and it has been fine on both although as PeteRob hints above you need to take some care over balance. A sand bag or two (also by Manfrotto) will be a quick way to weight tripod legs and/or the non-camera end of the cross bar.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Depending on the size of the products a copystand like this may be an option...