1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D7100 shutter/mirror problem

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Zak52, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

Ok, I sold my well cared for D7100 on the auction site, sent well applied via RMSD. Camera has around 10,500 shutter count. The buyer has come back with a problem .He states that around 50% of all the shots taken are completely black, and also when moved onto his PC. He has tried a different lens but problem is persisting although there seems to be no pattern to it, He goes on to say he shot a couple of hundred images this afternoon using both lenses and that probably 150 are fine, but 50 or so are totally black. The black pictures seem to occur in bunches then the camera will be fine again for a while before another bunch of pictures come out black. Sounds to me like a mirror/shutter problem. Maybe Royal Mail has been playing basket ball with it........

I'll give it a good look over when I get it back. Anyone know of any recommended repairers before I give Nikon 300 quid?

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Did you set up a non-CPU lens? If so it could be that the camera/lens interface is the problem, a dirty contact. If the camera loses contact with the lens it will revert to the non-CPU lens data and expose accordingly.

3. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

Well I didn't but will investigate on its return. The guy said the packaging was bit battered which it certainly wasn't when it was despatched so Ive asked for pictures of the box.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Like yourself my initial thought would be a sticky mirror, it's where I would look first as presumably the camera has made the appropriate noises. I did once buy a used Nikon body which only had a shutter count of a few hundred that was suffering in this way.

5. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

I'll see what happens when I get it back. I'll bang a lens on, insert a memory card select ÇH' and fire away :)

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Any update yet ?