1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D7000 - advice needed on how to use it

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by PhotoclickPaul, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I'm not denying the fact that a manual will contain the required information, it's the presumption that the manual should be the first port of call.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

but it's usually the only tool available at the time...and to be fair most new cameras come with a manual and not a library;)

3. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

When testing out various CSCs recently, I found my way around the camera without the manual - in fact, I tend to use the manual (rather stereotypically!) as a last resort.

My reasons? Most modern cameras worth their salt, should be intuitive to the extent that I want to be able to find 80% or more of the controls without recourse to the manual. Certainly getting used to one brand helps (thought with DSLRs, the range of functions scan be TOO extensive and get one lost in a manu system), but if it's not intuitive to some extent, then I'm not that interested.

Interestingly, it took a little time and I was put off most CSCs at first - because their menus and operation is similar, but different to what I was used to - a good learning experience for me, then!:D

4. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Hi Paul. I'm a bit late to the party but ( once you've finished it ) I'd be interested in hearing, how the shooting went.

I suspect there should be a quick start guide included with your camera which might be a bit more easily digested than the manual and might be helpful in getting you up and running at short notice.

I would go with those who have suggested sticking the bugger in "P" mode and gradually get used to handling it. After a while you can take more control little by little. Most modern cameras in the majority of situations will sort exposure out if left to their own devices. All the other stuff about RAW etc can wait. (Don't forget some pros shoot only RAW! ;) )

The D7000 will certainly give you lots of scope to progress as your knowledge grows.

Hope you enjoy the shoot and maybe next time don't give yourself such a steep curve ;)

Willie

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I agree, but you and I and Barney are all used to using cameras and have a through grounding in the basics. The OP clearly hasn't, given what he's posted in this thread - previous ownership of an F401 seems to have fooled us all into believing otherwise. Now with that background, not understanding the difference between manual exposure or manual focus, I reckon there's just no alternative but to read the manual even to find out how to set everything to auto, we're effectively dealing with an absolute beginner here, not someone with years of experience.

6. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

I think the assumption was that his knowledge of his film SLR was the first port of call, and the manual was to identify the 'mechanical' differences on the D7000... but as has been suggested, I think it's become clear that some fundamentals of photography aren't understood... The manual will never explain how "photography" works; but it will explain how that camera works.

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

As one of Paul's questions was "How do I turn the D7000 on", it seems the manual is a pretty reasonable place to start..!!

As a matter of interest Paul, where did you buy it from? If it was from a photographic dealer I think many of your questions could and should have been answered in the shop. Unless of course it was bought from J****ps, where even turning it on would probably have been beyond some of the salespersons :rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Nikon do a course on the D7000. The next ones are in Kingston and Manchester in July. Price £119!

There's an online D7000 course here as well as lots of other courses. No idea how good they are, and you do have to subscribe to the website.

9. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

Stick it in auto iso then auto on the command dial (the green Auto) Then read your manual its not 300 pages of english is it? Thats all the languages its probably more like 30 pages of English.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  10. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

The Nikon D7000 manual is 325 pages including the indexes all in English. (Nice edit ;) ).

[​IMG]
    D7000 manual index by MartyPGBT, on Flickr

And it wouldn't have been a camera recommended to the OP had we known of the lack of experience.

11. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

Wow, thats a lot!

12. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

But the "Basic Photography and Playback" chapter at a lightweight 14 pages would probably have answered most of the OP's questions had he been bothered to read it?

In fact if you add up the time everyone has taken to post in this thread, it#s probably many times longer that it would have taken to read & understand that chapter.

The "read the manual" advice is a) meant to be treated sensibly, pick out the bits you need, not YOU MUST READ ALL 335 PAGES BEFORE TOUCHING THE CAMERA!!!. and b) to make sure you are not eating peoples time here answering silly questions - like "how do I turn it on". That a few seconds work would resolve.

I am always ready to help people, but I do very much prefer it if the questioner has, at least spent a few seconds trying to work out the answer themselves first. You know, actually put some effort in themselves before expecting the rest of the world to solve their problem.

Maybe that's just me though

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

No it's not just you Phil I feel exactly the same. I also get fed up with queries which are easily and quickly solved with a Google search.

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

On the contrary. All DSLRs have programme modes which allow them to operate in point and shoot mode. All that was needed were instructions on how to get into that close to default mode.
    Some people mentioned raw earlier. I don't think that anyone thought that our newcomer was going to do anything with them in a hurry. Finding out how to switch the camera into raw plus jpeg, and then doing so was not a bad idea. At least if the photographs were important but badly exposed there would have been a better chance of recovery even if that recovery was something to get help with in future.
    Personally I find a Nikon DSLR easier to use than a compact or my little used Olympus EP-2. On the latter its reaction to some button presses seems to be as much a matter of chance as of context. It seems that the interface was not designed by an expert in such matters but was made up on the fly by a programmer; a bit like the interface on my Denon DAB tuner. There's probably a Lounge thread in that.

15. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I've not read the whole thread, but think I've got the gist of it.

Personally, I always download and read the manual for anything technological that I'm thinking of buying. That and dependable reviews of course. It's amazing how much it helps to make a short-list to check out in the shops, and how much simpler it makes it to get to grips with a new toy once purchased.

As a student, I did a placement with the MoD where I was a member of a team designing test equipment for various electronic systems. When writing the manuals, our boss always insisted we had a page at the front which said, in large print: "Now you've decided to do it our way..."

16. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Exactly, so why spend £1000 on a D7000 you've no idea how to use when something far cheaper in the DSLR range (even 2nd hand) would have been just as much point-and-shoot?

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well at least in part because people on here suggested it. We normally do a much better job at NOT recommending a camera until we've sussed out what a poster actually needs. In this case, everyone got hung up on the old lenses and didn't find out more first - something of a forum failing this time.

18. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Hence

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Indeed - as I said, we were too quick to recommend a camera. In general, we don't make the mistake of answering such a question until we have all the information we need.

20. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Some of us tried to guide him away from this route, but the choice has been made.

If it were a computer forum then the standard reply we would give is RTFM.

As it is, the OP needs to slow down a bit, find out the basics from the manual - unless things have changed, Nikon supply a quick guide as well as the full-blown manual. Hell, I even got one with my D60.

Patience is wearing a bit thin amongst some of those replying here, and I've avoided that by .... well, not posting any more:eek:

To the OP - slow down. You have a camera capable of some gobsmacking images if you take the time to study it. If you're anything like some in my family you may find that daunting, in which case you need to get down to your local bookstore and look for guides to the D7000 - they will cost a small fraction of the camera, and you can choose one which suits your learning style.
    Another place to look is youtube - there are always tutorials on there.

Well there you have it. Most of us do presume that even the quick-start guide will be used.
    When getting new equipment, photographic or other, my golden rule is to put the kettle on, sit down, assume nothing and READ the basic section of any manual. After that, it's dependent on the gear which way I learn to use it.