1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D70 err message

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by alphab, Apr 23, 2011.

1. alphab

alphab Member

Hi,
    Would anyone know what the problem my be?
    When pressing the shutter release button i get "err message" and then have to press again to release it (no pics obviously)
    Its not doing it all the time just occaisionally.
    Any help appreciated as to what the problem may be
    Al

2. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Do you change lenses on the camera or just use the kit lens? It could be a communication problem between camera and lens in which case try cleaning the contacts.

Andrew

3. alphab

alphab Member

Use Nikon 70-300mm ED lens always attached hardly ever unscrew

4. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Then remove the lens and gently clean the electrical contacts!

Andrew

5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

As Andrew says, the first port of call for the Err message is the communication between camera and lens. With the host of moving parts and the mirror flapping the air inside the camera about violently, greasy particles can build up on the contacts it seems, which require a little attention every so often. If you open the camera and see some black on the contacts, it definitely needs it and even if you can't see anything its worth a rub just in case. Also, as this is the lens you use most often with the camera, test it with another lens to see if you are getting the same message to see if it could be the lens communication that has gone awry.

As dSLRs are mostly electronic jiggery pokery inside, this is one of the very few parts we as users can actually have some maintenance control over, so its a quick clean of the contacts and maybe after that a desperate two-button reset, with a last-ditch firmware upgrade/refresh but if the problem persists you'll have no other action but to send it off to the menders, unfortunately.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  6. alphab

alphab Member

Many thanks for your advice

7. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Let us know how you get on :)

8. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Check that the aperture ring on the lens is set to the smallest aperture (largest number) and locked there.

9. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Good call, i assumed it was the G lens but they did do a D - ED didn't they? :)

10. witchieblackcat

witchieblackcat New Member

I have a D70s that suffers from this problem. Apparently it's quite a common fault.

You need to take the lens off ensuring that the mirror is locked up as if you were going to clean the sensor.
    You'll notice that the shutter is across the sensor.
    Take something gentle and gently poke the shutter to pop it back onto its rails - although you'll not feel or hear anything to show it's done. Once this is done put it all back together and all should be well.

The fault happens to me every now and then. My camera has a rough life as it's only used underwater in a housing. I think it's caused by vibration or bouncing around.

11. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

I was in India where this was happening to a person who was on the same boat as myself and noticing that I was using a Nikon the person asked for help, I cleaned the contacts on the lens and rebooted the camera (took the battery out and re inserted) When switched on again all was well, the person was over the moon for the err had gone and I felt good that I seemed to have solved the persons problem, the photographer thought I was very clever! however I never saw that person again so hopefully the camera is still OK