1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D5000 sd card video question

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by D5000c1, Apr 18, 2017.

1. D5000c1

D5000c1 New Member

Hi People,

I have a Nikon D5000 and I'm using a Sandisk Exreme Pro 32gb micro sd card which I have a picture of on here

I'm finding if I record videos on 1280 x 720 (16:9) I'm only getting 5 minuites video time
    And I'm getting 20 minuites on the other 2 settings

I just wondered if I am doing something wrong

Thank you
    Charlie

Attached Files:

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

The other formats are lower resolution, so the files are smaller for the same amount of time.

Is your card full? Is it really 32GB in size (have you checked on a PC?). Is it formatted as FAT32 or exFAT?

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The D5000 has 3 video modes: 1280x720 (16:9), 640x424 (3:2), and 320x216 (3:2) For reasons best known only to Nikon, the high resolution mode is limited to 5 minutes. My guess is that the hardware can't cope with buffering any longer run times for the bigger frame size. This page discusses it further http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D5000/D5000VIDEO.HTM

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I thought that when video first came to DSLRs, for use as cheap alternatives to pro video cameras, shooting was limited to very short periods on the basis that films are made by editing clips together.