1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon d3300 digital zoom

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Mark eyeington, May 28, 2017.

1. Mark eyeington

Mark eyeington New Member

Hi, total newbie. I have a Nikon d3300 and I am after some help with the digital zoom. When taking a picture can you use the digital zoom to zoom close in then take the picture? Reason I ask is that I can't seem to do it. I can focus in on what it is I want to photograph and I can use the digital zoom to get really close but when I press the shutter button it just zooms back out and I don't get the image I was after. Any help welcome. Thanks.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

A so called digital zoom works by cropping the image. The image is taken at the maximum focal length of the lens but only the middle of the image is used. This is presented as an enlargement so it appears as if there has been some further magnification. If a lens won't focus then you may be too close, the subject may lack contrast, you have a small subject and when you move a fraction, even shaking, the lens loses it. Using a single focussing point can help - if the camera is choosing where to focus (autofocussing point selection) it can get lost. Some cameras let you swap the focussing action off the shutter release and onto another button. This can help with tricky subjects because you can more easily fix the focussing distance.

3. Mark eyeington

Thanks for this. I also made a mistake, my camera is actually a d3200. When I say digital zoom what I mean is when I zoom in to an object using the lens first, if I then press the button on the rear of my camera I can zoom in even further then manually focus. However, as soon as I press the shutter button it takes the image back to the original zoom (lens zoom only)

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

5. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

6. Mark eyeington

Ah, ok. That makes sense. Thanks for that. I go to quite a bit of motorsport events and I use a 55-300 lens. I was hoping I could get a bit closer to subjects without having to spend anymore money. Cheers.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

No you can't do this. You see a magnified section of the picture taken from the whole frame area, the picture recorded by the camera is the whole frame area.

spinno likes this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sorry - it is a close focussing aid, nothing to do with "digital zoom" as it is commonly called, but it essentially does the same thing by displaying a small part of the frame on the whole screen. It is similar to the magnified view you can have on playback. When you take the picture the view goes back to a normal view. You remind me I promised my wife to try and turn it off on her camera as she finds it hugely distracting to have the display "go big" when she is trying to compose a shot.

9. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

There are way to extender the focal length, teleconverters but there are pros and cons.

Pros are they are cheaper than a new lens and not as heavy, Cons you will lose at least 2 stops, camera shake can be more noticeable auto focus may not work, any aberrations of the lens will show up more.

Th other option is to crop.

10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Cropping the image from a decent lens can give a better result than that from a cheap lens long lens.

exspmr likes this.